Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so just recently I just change my oil and what not. These past couple days I notice on low rpm and even high rpm, I hear flutter. My mods are underneath in sig. What could cause the stock bov to flutter? Is it time to get new bov? I searched around on the forums and I can see flutter coming from aftermarket one, but stock bov?

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hose and connections are good. What would cause turbo to go bad? Crushing the stock BOV, would that help?

·
Registered
238 Posts
When is it fluttering? The stock one does flutter when going between boost and vacuum and modding the car to increase boost will increase flutter at that point. Now if its fluttering all the time you have a problem.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I think the main point of crushing is to increase the peak boost... I dont think it would affect the flutter if its at the typical vacuum\boost point.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Crushing it increases spring pressure, if anything it would make it worse. I say try a new valve. I can recommend the NGR type s if you like the sound it makes, 0 surge anywhere, exactly like stock (check my review of it). I had a good experience with the TiAL Q too, but it sounded like a fart coming out of a prolapsed anus.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Crushing it increases spring pressure, if anything it would make it worse. I say try a new valve. I can recommend the NGR type s if you like the sound it makes, 0 surge anywhere, exactly like stock (check my review of it). I had a good experience with the TiAL Q too, but it sounded like a fart coming out of a prolapsed anus.
Was just looking into one. Going to purchase one. Thanks

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm getting the same issue from the stocker bov. I've tried other bov's , even a new stocker but no fix. I figure its normal. And if it isn't I'm still under warranty and I hope something blows up

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've checked every possible part. Even did a pressure test. Can't figure out what's going on with it. I'm assuming with stage 2 tune it just happends at low boost.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I've checked every possible part. Even did a pressure test. Can't figure out what's going on with it. I'm assuming with stage 2 tune it just happends at low boost.

It has nothing to do with the tune, it has nothing to do with the BOV itself "fluttering". What's happening is you're finding a part throttle situation that loads up the engine enough to spool the turbo, and then you're slowly closing the throttle which blocks the air the turbo is trying to flow into the engine, and also doesn't create enough vacuum to open the BOV....it's a light amount of compressor surge. The fluttering sound is coming from the compressor wheel through your intake pipe, not the BOV.

It happens, and you'll always find a situation that will produce light surge. I can recreate the surge all day long if I try...but I've adjusted to drving a fast spooling turbo car by either coming off the throttle very, very slowly, or letting off completely to open the BOV.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
I've never been able to make the stocker flutter. If it is there's a problem. Aftermarkets will always flutter but the right spring makes it so minimal.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

1 - 20 of 27 Posts