Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a completely stock evo x that’s never been modified. For the past few 3 months I’ve noticed my exhaust slowly getting louder. Recently I did not drive it for about 2-3 weeks and I’ve noticed that it is suddenly running rich with exhaust pops/presumed fireballs between shifts and if I give WOT the exhaust note sounds like it’s shooting out some excess fuel like my old wrx did when I went catless and I was untuned. There are no CELs. Did I blow a cat or something? I have not noticed the catless smell yet but was mostly on the highway and very little local driving. Since I am stock should I bring it to the dealership or perhaps one of the well known So Cal evo shops?

·
Registered
135 Posts
The exhaust manifolds are known to crack and leak. A leak before the O2 will throw the mix off a bit. Because they are cast, the manifold leaks will get quieter as the car warms up. Find the leak yourself if you can and then figure out what you want to do to fix it. Every piece of the exhaust from the head-back can be upgraded if that's the route you want to go. It'll still be cheaper to replace the OEM part with used or even new off of the internet and have a shop do the work. That's all up to you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts