Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
24,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So due to the fact that my boosted 2001 mazda protege mp3 (see my vbGarage page) makes far more torque than it was designed to, gears tend to shear themselves within a matter of months.

I just built myself a new trans including some new heavy duty straight cut gears from PAR in Australia. I'm not even on the car that hard here, and you can easily hear the gear whine.

:bowlol:

·
Administrator
24,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
how much do you have to replace the gear box
My gearbox consists of the following upgrades:

Quaife LSD
PAR straight cut 3rd gear
PAR straight cut 4th gear.

and how much hp you pushing to the wheels.
A couple of years back on my old T3 it was 274whp or so. I'm sure I'm up a bit since then, being as I've done a good number of mods as well as a bigger turbo.

i heard mp3s are great cars but i heard you can only push them so far, i dont know if thats true but let me know.
You can only push any FWD car so far.

·
Administrator
24,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
reason for the straight gears i might ask?
Less lateral load on the trans case.

/quote]in what way do you mean? cause i can go all the way up to 800hp or more daily driver srt-4? traction prob of course but that can be fixed lol[/quote]

Traction problems are a biggie, and no, it can't be fixed properly. You might have good enough traction for a drag race, but there's more to life than drag racing.

Aside from that, torque steer, drivability, etc all eventually limit FWD cars as well. There's a reason that none of the higher end racing series cars run FWD, and there's a reason they have their own class in drag racing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.