Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard slight stretch actually increase performance. Does this apply to autocross also?
I know there are a lot of autocross junkies out there what are your opinions?

I am thinking about running 275/35/18 on 10.5" wheel

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
275 isn't gonna stretch... it'd be pretty damn square. 265 would be slight stretch, 255 would be stretch, 245 would be super stretch, 235 would be stupid stretch, 225 would be herrafrush fatlace society lifestyle scrape artist rubberband stretch
According to this it is a quiet a bit of stretch...

My current setup with 275s on 19x10.5 are quite a bit stretched...

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
According to this it is a quiet a bit of stretch...

My current setup with 275s on 19x10.5 are quite a bit stretched...
That's an awesome resource.

I've seen 275 on 10.5 and it didn't look stretched, maybe the tire manufacturer (some 275s are narrow, some average, some wide) had something to do with it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have Michelin super sports 275/35/18 and they are stretched a little

Had 265/35/18 Hankook v12s before and the rim was poking

This is on a 18x10.5 +15 wheel

·
Registered
55 Posts
Stretched tires will help with initial turn in feel and will add a more crisp feeling. A lot less slosh if you will.

But it will not increase maximum lateral g's, it will decrease. If this wasn't the case every race car you came across would be herra frush.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Stretched tires will help with initial turn in feel and will add a more crisp feeling. A lot less slosh if you will.

But it will not increase maximum lateral g's, it will decrease. If this wasn't the case every race car you came across would be herra frush.
^Yo.

·
Registered
39 Posts
265/35/18 = ideal set up for track IMO.
18x10+15 here.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Where'd this equation come from? Im trying to decide on new steup, was thinking 18x9.5+20 with 265/35/18...

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have 275 Starspecs on 18x10.5" wheels. It's a slight stretch but nothing noteworthy. Different tires would likely result in a more significant stretch. I'm under the impression that stretching tires is a cheater way to stiffen the sidewalls, which is why this is popular in drifting as it takes less effort to get the tires to break loose.

·
Registered
9,566 Posts
I have 275 Starspecs on 18x10.5" wheels. It's a slight stretch but nothing noteworthy. Different tires would likely result in a more significant stretch. I'm under the impression that stretching tires is a cheater way to stiffen the sidewalls, which is why this is popular in drifting as it takes less effort to get the tires to break loose. Actually 98% of the time it's just people being cheap or trying to fit MAD TYTE STANCED wheels that shouldnt fit in the first place.
Fixed that one ;)

·
Registered
9,566 Posts
But Happy what about needing to stretch the tire to Drift it?!?!?!?!

FYI Nikki saying that 275/35 on a 10.5 is being stretched obviously hasn't see what folks are doing...
This is stretch:

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
I hate stretch.

Nikki's absolutely right on cheater way of stiffening sidewall, even though most tires you put on the Evo are gonna have extremely stiff sidewalls to begin with. Also, maintaining 38-40 psi when hot in all 4 corners during track days is what will do the stiff sidewall trick, not stretching.

265 - 9.5" wheel
275 - 10" wheel
285 - 10.5" wheel

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.