Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some technical jargon busting.

Ive never owned a turbo car or modded a car and Ive been asking about running in the X (when it finally bloody arrives!)

Anyway the advice was vary the revs to get the seals bedded in well but dont rev too long and dont keep it "on boost"

Now I know "on boost" is something to do with the turbo kicking in but can somebody break this down for me and do me a "boost for idiots" guide. I have no idea how to get it on boost nevermind stop it again.

Yes I know some laughing and pointing will now follow :thumbup:

·
Registered
21 Posts
First off, there is no such thing as a stupid question. Second, I am no expert. Third, boost is when you hit a certain RPM the turbo begins to spool and yeah, you get your boost. How quick you get your boost depends on your car, how much you floored it and obviouslly, the turbo you got.

Example, with american muscle cars, you feel the torque the whole way. It's a endless surge of power from start to finish. With turbo, you feel as the power picks up as the turbo spools.

Off topic, you seen a Shelby GT-500 Mustang put the pedal to the floor? It was as if thunder struck it's back end. All you felt was everyhting around you vibrate as you see this car take off in a cloud of smoke. Then you begin to hear the loudest freaking roar! Evo doesn't do this. Obviouslly, it doesn't have the power and it's all wheel drive. But, you definitely feel like a god when the turbo kicks in. (basically instantly)

·
Administrator
24,218 Posts
That would be considered a VERY laggy car. It doesn't really kick until 5000rpm.

"boosting" refers to the point at which your turbo begins producing positive pressure. As stated above, this will vary upon what's under your hood combined with load on the motor. Load on the motor is based on your current gear, throttle position, RPM, whether you're going uphill or downhill, etc.

On a car like the evo, you can expect to start building boost at around 2500 rpm, give or take. Once boost begins to build, it's an exponential function that will generate more and more boost quickly until your peak boost is reached (probably around 1000rpm later).

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So if the Evo X is boosting from 2500rpm then how the hell am I supposed to keep off the boost when running the engine in? Do I just leave it in idle and walk to work? :D

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok that makes more sense. I must pay more attention in class :thumbup:

Im still going to go out and rev the nuts off it. thats what warranty is for isnt it?

But now I know what on boost means which is good. Im learning :shades:

·
[Bone Closet Mod], [Marketplace Mod]
1,851 Posts
^ Right. It's something you'll quickly grasp once you are driving the car. My buddy has a nine and unless he's racing he never puts that thing into boost on the street.

·
[Team IEG VP]
10,071 Posts
yeah, the boost is pretty gradual. Although, if you want to feel the boost kick in just apply a constant amount of gas starting with the car in the 2000-2500 rpm range. don't push any harder but as the car accelerates and when it hits like ~3300 you'll feel your ass get pushed harder and harder into the seat.

its fun, works well in 3rd

·
Registered
21 Posts
360 is the best factory tuned evo so yeah, it should have the strongest kick.

to answer your question in a simpler way. evo is known to break ur neck if you step on it. the X is capable of giving ya the same thrill but with it's better suspension, weight and body stucture, it feels softer than the 9. still, if you wanna have fun do this. get ur girl to sit in the passenger seat and start talking to her while driving slowly. then while shes talking, put the pedal down to the floor and watch the back of her head bang into the seat. ofcourse, that brings some arguing later but, that little moment is so freaking worth it! lol

so yea, X can deliver a hell of a kick back but, bit softer than 9.

as for the boost thing... you cant just drive around thinking about not spooling the turbo. if you do that ur gonna go 0-40 in like 7 seconds to keep under 2,000 RPM and eventually it will spool the turbo anyways so screw that. just drive normal and avoid stepping on it if you dont want to see your gas meter go down right in ur face =P

oh and if you wanna have MORE fun, while you're rolling around 20mph, take the pedal down all the way and once you feel it's going to boost up, release the pedal and hear that monster roar! make sure u wearing seatbelt and dont do this every day! warrantee only covers so much! oh and while its roaring at ya, you can lightly step on the pedal and keep it at a steady RPM. this will make the car rev beautifully for a few more seconds. good to show off in a parking lot... lmao (especially the cloased ones)

grats on the 360, that shit is top notch! hope ya get it.

·
[Team IEG VP]
10,071 Posts
oh and if you wanna have MORE fun, while you're rolling around 20mph, take the pedal down all the way and once you feel it's going to boost up, release the pedal and hear that monster roar! make sure u wearing seatbelt and dont do this every day! warrantee only covers so much! oh and while its roaring at ya, you can lightly step on the pedal and keep it at a steady RPM. this will make the car rev beautifully for a few more seconds. good to show off in a parking lot... lmao (especially the cloased ones)

I'm not sure I quite follow what you mean? could someone explain what he's describing?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm not sure I quite follow what you mean? could someone explain what he's describing?

basically, you make you car scream by pushing down the pedal for a second and releasing it so you dont crash into the wall. but, pressing it lightly enough so you keep moving and if you keep a steady RPM, it sounds way louder than it would if you were just going normally slow. only lasts a few seconds though. kinda the same thing as shifting down a gear at a higher RPM than normal but without shifting.:amen:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.