Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this appropriate but Swaintech is mentioned as a 'true ceramic' coating, and if you read their site, it sounds pretty good. As with all things, the fine print is what is important.

First, as one quickly finds out, it is expensive. The next thing that the fine print mentions is that it is not guaranteed.

I called them and asked questions like 'Will the coating rub off, or fall off' and I was told that it would not, that the ceramic coating was very durable. I then had my headers and up pipe dropped shipped and sent them the hot side of the Turbo. I got everything back and installed everything.

My car is a track car, so I went to the track :)

After ~4 days of fun and games I found this (My turbo housing flaking):

and this (some of the header runners with the material melting):

and this (some flaking of the runners):

I then called them up and was told that I should have checked to see if there was any guarantee - there wasn't and they were not going to do anything for me. I asked what temperature this coating was good to - They told me that 'They don't know', I asked if they could have applied this material incorrectly - I was told 'No' . A lot of dancing around the notion that this is not an exact science, that sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't, bottom line is they are either ignorant of or will not say what the failure modes are of this product. In addition, the customer service is lousy.

My recommendation is that, from my experience, for these ceramic products, save your money, this stuff is not suited for these temps.

Ray

·
Registered
449 Posts
damn! im gonna go check mine now! i had it done on my full race manifold and map downpipe

·
Registered
449 Posts
just checked. still good but now you got me worried. i dont track the car, so hopefully it will last awhile. but i do have to agree with you on their customer service, they do suck

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
I've seen pictures of how the swaintech holds up after 10k, 20k, 40k and 50k miles. I'm not sure if that car was actually tracked or what, but at 10k it looked a million times better than your 4 days, 20k looked similar and 40k was right on the money with what you're experiencing.

I'm glad I never went this route, I was considering it. Was also considering their BBE for the intercooler but I'm glad you posted this... not gonna give those guys a dollar!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts