Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, having a bad day over here, and curious just how screwed I am. I should state that I've been working on cars for over 2 decades and am absolutely ashamed and shocked by my stupidity here...

So, in preparation for a recent track day I changed all of the fluids on the Evo, including the T-Case. I drove 100 miles to the track day, and after 3 heats a driver came up to me and mentioned that I was smoking a bit from what appeared to be the engine compartment on decel.

I crawled under the car to take a look and there was fluid everywhere, and it appeared to be the LSD fluid. I assumed I blew a seal, and called it a day, limping the car back home 100 miles.

Upon getting the car on my lift and removing the plastic undercladding the fill plug for the T-Case falls to the floor. Shit...

No idea how the fill plug came out. Clearly wasn't properly tightened. I was doing the fluid change with a friend, and he may have dealt with tightening it, I don't remember, but either way it was on me to double check everything before wrapping up, so clearly my fault. I open the drain for the T-Case and it is bone dry. Shit...

I hadn't noticed any particular whining on my way home, but should I pretty much assume that my T-Case is fubar? I am absolutely gutted by how stupid I am, and how much money this plug just cost me...

·
Registered
183 Posts
If you didn't lock it up and it still turns, you might just be looking at new bearings and seals. You're going to have to pull it off and crack it open to know for sure.

Sorry about the bad luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MidWesty79

Would this require every bearing to be replaced? Is there even a kit for that? I can't seem to find one. Would the LSD have survived? I know it's likely impossible to tell without cracking it open. Just curious:

A) Is there is a way to know (or visibly tell) the damage done to the ring and pinion and LSD.
B) is a complete bearing kit available
C) Does anyone offer a rebuild service that includes all bearings to be replaced?

Thanks!
Nick

·
Registered
269 Posts
Would this require every bearing to be replaced? Is there even a kit for that? I can't seem to find one. Would the LSD have survived? I know it's likely impossible to tell without cracking it open. Just curious:

A) Is there is a way to know (or visibly tell) the damage done to the ring and pinion and LSD.
C) Does anyone offer a rebuild service that includes all bearings to be replaced?

Thanks!
Nick
Like you said, no one on here could answer or sure what kind of damage is done.

https://www.jackstransmissions.com/index.php?option=com_opencart&Itemid=1234&route=product/product&product_id=432&search=EVO+X+TRANSFER+CASE

Jack's offers a rebuild and replaces bearings and seals. That is $1350 before shipping and all that good stuff.

https://www.jackstransmissions.com/index.php?option=com_opencart&Itemid=1234&route=product/product&product_id=273&search=EVO+X+TRANSFER+CASE

That is their complete rebuild for $3000.

·
Registered
183 Posts

Thanks!
Nick

You'll see heat damage on the gears and bearings. The gears should be magnafluxed to check for any cracking.

Jack's can take care of you as mentioned earlier. TRE does excellent work as well.

As far as I know, all parts are available from the dealer but I haven't seen any "kits"

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, I filled it with fluid and drove it around for 30 minutes. Really couldn't hear any sort of whine. I listened very intently and drove in all manner, including aggressively. I could maybe hear a faint whine under hard cornering, but I'm not sure if that was normal, or if I'm paranoid now.

I drained the fluid again to see what was in it after the short drive. The fluid came out dark with shiny "dust" in it. Assuming from the LSD. No chunks or debris to speak of though.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I would start saving.

But hopefully it will be ok for a little while atleast. I doubt it, but maybe you got away pretty good and it's not "damaged" but maybe worn a little more.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts