Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its a 2011 GSR with only 6k miles and im the second owner after buying it with 2k miles and this has just started to happen with in the last week. All that is done to the car is an AMS Intercooler, upic and an ets catback. Im just outside chicago so its getting pretty cold up here, but i dont think that should matter? Anyway when drving in any gear except for 1st and i give the car anything over a half throttle betwwen the rpms of 2200 and 4000k the car almost acts as if it hit a small ice patch. It seems like it slips... it will go up like an extra 500 rpm like as if im in nutral and rev a little and almost seem to catch itslef and then continue to go on its way. I get very paranoid about my car and would love help. Has any one seen anything like this? am i special? I couldnt find anything on the fourm and maybe its the clutch? I pretty new to the car and ive launched the car no more than 8 times since i bought it. i know thats a lot but i was trying to get that launch down. I did it in an evenly spaced time. Any help is awsome, if not i will contact mitsubishi :)
Cheers

·
aka MitsuEvoX
1,000 Posts
That's the clutch man. There are stories of the stock clutch lasting only a few thousand miles, and with your launches, I'm not surprised. Sorry to hear man. I need to get mine replaced too

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really :( this may be a very stupid question, but even though im in gear and not changing gears, it will still act up? "learning" to launch came back to haunt me. How much can i expect to pay for a new clutch from mitsu? thats something not under warrenty im guessing?

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Sounds a lot like mine when it started slipping. Has it still under warrenty? Slipping at 6k is unheard of. Was it a demo car?

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
If you have to buy a clutch, go to our forum venders for a good deal.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im the second owner and it was bought at 2k miles and when the car arrived (shipped from north carolina) it was fine, no slip IMO at all. Its a 2011 with an ams intercooler UICP and a catback. That wont void warrenty but i can say that it has had around 8 launches. For 6k miles that seems like a lot. But your sure its the clutch?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
its not covered by warranty .. never go to a dealer they will charged u alot.

local shop+ clutch price from 500 and up .. ull definitely pay 1300 or more for everything ..

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Im the second owner and it was bought at 2k miles and when the car arrived (shipped from north carolina) it was fine, no slip IMO at all. Its a 2011 with an ams intercooler UICP and a catback. That wont void warrenty but i can say that it has had around 8 launches. For 6k miles that seems like a lot. But your sure its the clutch?

men u launced ur car, 8 times is alot! and u said ur trying to learn how.. u might even be doing it wrong to cause more damaged ..

and if ever u have to talk to ur dealer dont tell them u launched be innocent..they can void ur warranty whenever they want.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
$1300.... im in chicago and just outside of ams im looking on their site now and im not looking to ever make 500whp and probaly just a good replacment, so would the exedy stage 1 kit be a good idea? its $450. Any guess on how much that would be installed?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not that it took me 8 times to learn i just like go fast

·
aka MitsuEvoX
1,000 Posts
99% positive. as On2it said, contact a vendor on this site. The factory clutch is unpredictable in its longevity. Some last 10k or less, and some last 50k+. Sure, driving style has a lot to do with it, but this clutch is mostly garbage. Modern Automotive Performance (MAP) has excellent customer service, a great selection, and personal experience, so they will recommend certain parts that will help meet your goals. MAP will be hailed and recommended by pretty much everyone. Just send them a pm or give them a call for the best price.

·
aka MitsuEvoX
1,000 Posts
A lot of people on here use ACT, Spec 3+, and clutchmasters. There are reviews on them, so check them out and find one that you like.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you for all your help :) Looks like i will be making some calls and puting money in a place i didnt want to pu it :(

·
aka MitsuEvoX
1,000 Posts
Not a problem. Good luck!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry 1 more question. What would be a fair price for putting in a clutch. With out the price of the actual clutch?

·
aka MitsuEvoX
1,000 Posts
Mitsu quoted 900 for labor, but they're a bunch of butt pirates. Being in chicago, I'm sure you can find a good shop to do it for about 600 probably. Just call around, and make sure they've done evo x clutches before!!!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow, 600 that's with out clutch. Wow and this is something I can't do myself ... Well once again thank you

·
Registered
448 Posts
yup ur clutch is slipping :/ mine started doing it at 45,000 miles but i've only launched the car 3/4 times since ive had it. Amazon has good prices on clutches too

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
before you give up, you might as well do a couple more launches...

sometimes the surface glazes over, and a launch can clean it right up..

see how you go...

·
[Local Team Member], aka pimplay2
7,791 Posts
when you were launching it were you slipping the clutch or dumping it? did you get a clutch smell?

1 - 20 of 93 Posts