Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
...because everyone probably knows that Clipse3gt does awesome tunes. I know he made a thread about my car, but in case people are on the fence about a tune from him, or just a tune in general, I thought I'd share my side of the experience.

I got my mods on, he threw on my 3-port, hooked up a wideband, showed me his 650hp 3g eclipse, we rolled, gunned it, he tuned it, I was happy.

But I happened to get the developmentally-disabled evo out of the 2011 batch. It just did a lot of weird crap. After the initial tune, it started acting weird and knocking and cutting fuel, not to mention falling flat on it's face whenever I tried to brake-boost (that was before the tune too!). Clipse met up with me again, took the boost down to 27psi in the first three gears, and it seemed fine.

And then it didn't. My fifth had more torque than fourth (that's normal), but fourth had more than 3, which had more than 2, which had more than one, and one wasn't making any power at all. So after nagging him all through Christmas Day, he met up with me AGAIN, and didn't even seem mad or irratated. We found that 1st was receiving 50% throttle cut, 2nd was getting 30% cut, and so on. He patched a thingy and uploaded some other thingy and undid the barometric-pressure-map-RAX-patch-ECU-timing chain belt-torque converter-limiter-reader and then suddenly everything was fine and my car went really fast.

Kris went out of his way to meet me three separate times just to ensure his tune was high quality, when he totally didn't have to and could've just been like 'it's fine, you're fine, go away.'

Anyways he's a good guy, and getting a tune was my best and final mod. VD said over 400lbs. of torque (I gained like 90lbs/tq on the VD compared to it's stock reading, and in the end, numbers don't count, gains do!!)

My question to the community tho, I have my mods listed in my sig, if I add an exhaust after being tuned, will my car blow up? My car is too quiet as is. Will it actually do much at this point?

Thanks for reading, l'chaim, Merry christmas, and happy New Years.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Thread sounds like a tribute to Clipse. Yes he's a great dude I agree.

But I noticed you hid a question in there about an exhaust. Since Clipse tuned your car and is/was your tuner...why haven't you asked him this question? Afeared you'll run him off? Doubt it. Ask him, see what he says and report back.

As for an answer, stock cat is very restrictive. HFC or test pipe will just about set your car off that much more. Look into ETS. I got full turbo back ETS exhaust and love it. But you'll need another tune.

And the pictures...WTF

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
^ You didn't read...

I have a test pipe, just wondering what people's opinions were if I put a catback on after tuned. I already asked clipse, and he said it would be next to pointless and I wouldn't gain much power from it since I had the test pipe on. I wanted to know if it would mess with my afr's and cause knock or something bad. Once the turbo is maxed out it's maxed out, I'm just worried about it messing with the tune.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Funny thread! Tuning is like eating with a spoon, eventually you can all do it!

·
[Local Team Member], aka JDAVID-EVO X
16,650 Posts
That much power 0n 93 and now e85?? wthhh?? what are you useing Clipse??? I made the same power on e85 on Dyno Dynamics

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
The stock exhaust system on the 2011's is more open than the older Evo's. There is minimal benefit to getting a exhaust (probably some gains) but I'm sure with a 3" you will lose some torque and gain whp. Flow generally = HP and some restriction gains torque and spool up. It's all a balancing act. I say you are fine on the stocker and have more torque than HP because stock turbo is out of flow either way after 5500-6500 rpms. If you get a larger turbo probably a exhaust is a smart idea.

Neither way is wrong, if you want more sound go for it. As far as the tune, I doubt you would have issues, maybe some loss of peak boost.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts