Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im really up in the air here, not sure if i want to lose the back seats, but definitely love the looks of a cage. But with a cage the rear of the car looks pretty messy with the battery and loose wires and such.

Or maybe some of you dont like the cage and have different opinions

This is their "Race" Version

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most, if not all tracks require a wall between the cabin in the trunk. There is a back seat delete panel (driven fab?) you can get. If you really want to keep your seats, and got the cash, get the gates 311 roll bar. That's what im going with.

http://311rs.myshopify.com/collections/evo-x-parts-1/products/fall-line-for-311rs-roll-bar
Ya i really like the look of the 311, but $2500 vs like $500 lol, maybe i can just learn to live with the look of no back seats

·
Registered
7,776 Posts
That belt/harness setup looks dangerous to me.

Your front shoulder harnesses should be wrapped around the horizontal bar of the cage assy. The way it is now there's that ~6 feet of extra 2" webbing that will only stretch - a bunch - when you really need it.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Any roll bar you bolt up is going to effectively make your back seat totally unusable for passengers. If it is a "for looks only" type of thing, it might not be such a great idea as you are going to sacrifice a lot.
I have the Autopower roll bar in my car, it provides me with the seat belt anchoring and additional structural safety that is needed with 5/6 point harnesses.

Your front shoulder harnesses should be wrapped around the horizontal bar of the cage assy. The way it is now there's that ~6 feet of extra 2" webbing that will only stretch - a bunch - when you really need it.
^^^^^ X2 - Sketchy set up.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts

That particular harness in the photo appears to be a Schroth rallye4 that is designed as a bolt in unit and intended to be bolted down at the stock rear belt locations.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Interesting to see a picture of my car in someone else's post! The harness in the picture is a Schroth Rallye 4 - a 4-point harness. In operation the belt bolts to the original mounting points in the back and runs under the bar (not how it's shown in the picture - the harness is not long enough to go over the bar).

Edit: WootIHaveAnX beat me to it :)

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
haha

·
Registered
7,776 Posts
That particular harness in the photo appears to be a Schroth rallye4 that is designed as a bolt in unit and intended to be bolted down at the stock rear belt locations.
That's totally inappropriate as a safety equipment for a track vehicle. Better off to use the factory 3-point system with a CG Lock.

And that's coming from someone that's been an active SCCA Safety Steward for more than a decade.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Why you tellin' me? I didn't design it, tell Schroth how you feel lol.

·
Registered
614 Posts
That's totally inappropriate as a safety equipment for a track vehicle. Better off to use the factory 3-point system with a CG Lock.

And that's coming from someone that's been an active SCCA Safety Steward for more than a decade.
I find I slide around too much with the factory 3-point system - this really holds you in place. No question it's not appropriate for competitive track driving, but it's fine for HPDE. It's also DOT approved, so street-legal for driving to and from the track (in theory).

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Interesting to see a picture of my car in someone else's post! The harness in the picture is a Schroth Rallye 4 - a 4-point harness. In operation the belt bolts to the original mounting points in the back and runs under the bar (not how it's shown in the picture - the harness is not long enough to go over the bar).

Edit: WootIHaveAnX beat me to it :)

Haha well thanks for letting me use it ;)

Is the harness bar really that high above the cut outs in the seats? They are also not stock recaros, but you wouldnt be able to safely wrap a 5 point around that if its 6" above the cutouts
Right?

·
Registered
7,776 Posts
I find I slide around too much with the factory 3-point system -
Look u 'CG Lock'. It locks the lap-belt poriton and keeps the shoulder portion on the inertia reel. Holds you down easily.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
When I had the stock setup, I didn't like the CG lock, I had better luck sliding the seat back, locking up the belt then sliding forward to my normal seat position.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Haha well thanks for letting me use it ;)

Is the harness bar really that high above the cut outs in the seats? They are also not stock recaros, but you wouldnt be able to safely wrap a 5 point around that if its 6" above the cutouts
Right?
They are Recaro Pole Positions on Buddy Club seat rails. The cut outs are a little too low for me - I'd prefer a slightly higher seat. You're correct - with this arrangement, it would not be safe to run a "proper" 5 or 6 point harness. It's not particularly safe with my current arrangement either - the shoulder belts go through the cut outs and up and over my shoulders. In an accident they would pull my shoulders down which could cause a spine compression injury. I have almost no time these days for the track, so I haven't bothered changing it yet.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
5,198 Posts
Yea 2500 is a bit nuts. You could get a local cage builder to custom build you one for way less than that. That said, that 311 bar is very nice.

I had a TC Designs roll bar in my Evo 8 and it worked perfectly with everything. I only put the seats in for appearance and noise suppression since it was a daily driver. I never EVER put anybody back there.

I test fit an autopower bar in the car before this and it fit like crap and I didn't like the design at all. That is what led me to TC Designs.

Those photos are before I lowered my seat a tad.http://www.evoxforums.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

1 - 20 of 24 Posts