Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im sick of the stock turbo i want more power i have come to the conclusion im going to put cosworth mx1 cams fuel pump injectors manley rods wisco pistons and spring and retianers in my car i just am undecided about the turbo i want to go with fpblack seems to be common i just heard fp turbos suck and are constintly braking any suggestions?

·
Registered
22,717 Posts
Make sure you get in the group buy for the new speedcircuit FPR kit? It will go good with your build

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
a tech at a shop told me fps were garbage and they come with a warrenty for a reason but i found it hard to believe cause everyone is running them i want to put the black in cause it seems like people are making some good power with them.

·
[E-Tuner]
15,918 Posts
a tech at a shop told me fps were garbage and they come with a warrenty for a reason but i found it hard to believe cause everyone is running them i want to put the black in cause it seems like people are making some good power with them.
Haha, sounds like you need to find a new tech

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
43k miles on my FP Green never one issue...

·
Registered
6,195 Posts

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
yeah, the intended use for your car should factor into your purchase decision. You're gonna lose a good amount of spool with the black on a 2.0 motor when compared to the stock turbo. that's fine for drag racing and stuff, but not necessarily the best for situations where spool is important like circuit racing

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
yeah, the intended use for your car should factor into your purchase decision. You're gonna lose a good amount of spool with the black on a 2.0 motor when compared to the stock turbo. that's fine for drag racing and stuff, but not necessarily the best for situations where spool is important like circuit racing
People really overrate spool. If you're in the right gear, the spool won't kill you. If you're at 2k rpms coming out of a corner, you should have downshifted as you went in.

One of the few exceptions would be Auto X since you sometimes don't even have time to downshift, but I have a FP RED with a Tubular Manifold and I haven't really regretted it at auto-x. You can always just get on the throttle earlier to accomodate for the slower spool

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
I've seen alot of FP red's and blacks go back for repair. on 8's 9's and 10's. Not one green though. Enough to the point where I decided not to go with them. I'm going with an Ef4 but honestly I think they will have their own share of failure as well. Seems to be the nature of the beast on big wheel stock frame turbos.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I too have heard from several reputed shops that FP's are known to break, but they warranty it, so something to consider. Maybe that's why they switched to BB exclusively, cuz everyone is over-spinning their jb's, :dancebanana:
As for the 'spool argument', its more for DD. Spool is redlight to redlight (DD), power band is ripping thru corners (track driving) :D
I don't know about you, but with the weight of these cars last thing I need is Corolla power :p

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
just curious which tech on long island told you this...also from long island. PM me the name please...dont post.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
I too have heard from several reputed shops that FP's are known to break, but they warranty it, so something to consider. Maybe that's why they switched to BB exclusively, cuz everyone is over-spinning their jb's, :dancebanana:
As for the 'spool argument', its more for DD. Spool is redlight to redlight (DD), power band is ripping thru corners (track driving) :D
I don't know about you, but with the weight of these cars last thing I need is Corolla power :p
Be careful what you hear. It may be true in their experience, but they also may sell BBX turbos and don't make money of you buying an FP. Seen this before..numerous times.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.