Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought an Evo and changed the oil after a few days of driving it and realized that whoever changed the oil last time put too much in it. I plan on changing the spark plugs but was wondering if there is anything else I should do. I'd rather be on the safe side so any suggestions at all that will help me avoid any potential effects of running it with too much oil will be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Wow, I would assume that cant be good but I'm curious to know! Best wishes!!!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Depends on what's too much. A quarter or a quart and it's probably ok. Over a quart is probably really bad.

Some say the worst side effect is the sloshing of the oil to the turbo oil feed and then starvation for the turbo, but this is under heavy accel.

Do you have a vacuum pump or a fluid pump? You can attach it to the dipstick with a long vinyl tube (thin) and vacuum out a little oil. That's what I do when I overfill after an oil change rather than pull the plug out.

·
Registered
580 Posts
you can overpressurize the case and blow out seals for one. also, too much oil and youll feel a definite power loss as the crank tries to rotate thru all of that oil.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Depends on what's too much. A quarter or a quart and it's probably ok. Over a quart is probably really bad.

Some say the worst side effect is the sloshing of the oil to the turbo oil feed and then starvation for the turbo, but this is under heavy accel.

Do you have a vacuum pump or a fluid pump? You can attach it to the dipstick with a long vinyl tube (thin) and vacuum out a little oil. That's what I do when I overfill after an oil change rather than pull the plug out.
I changed the oil yesterday and now its ok, I'm just not sure if I should do anything else. I plan on changing the spark plugs partly because there was too much oil and also because I don't know if or when they have been changed before.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Did you pull the plugs to see if they where good? If there was that much overfill that it blew by the rings then I would clean the entire intake and inspect the turbo. But that would be a HUGE amount of overfill.

If it's just a small amount look at the plugs, they should be fine.

·
Registered
7,790 Posts
This would happen with too little oil, not too much.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts