Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
I've been on summer tires (stock tires) since i got home from Afghanistan...i landed Feb 27th..there was still tons of snow on the roads. We are suppose to get a shit load of snow this upcoming week but if you drive cautionously you will be fine.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Even with snow on the ground I wouldn't trust the stock tires from what I've heard. It's prolly even worse with the wet snow that you'll be getting. Plus when it drops below freezing the compound gets even worse.

Not to mention its not about how cautious you're driving but how quickly you can get out of somebody else's way when they're trying to hit your car.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
meh...i know it also depends on other drivers but its mostly about you. I had 2 holy shit moments and i was on ice. One was soon as i got in my car for the first time. Came out of the parking lot and took the turn and slid sideways...but then again i didnt drive anything for 5 months so i gave it to much gas. Second time was i was going abit to fast to make a turn and just kept going straight.

Now am i saying you can drive all winter on stock tires? no, defently not. But i think its safe to take the winter tires off. We arent going to get much more snow (besides abit this upcoming week). I put my AWD system back to tarmac and havent even had the TC or AWD kick in at all. All you need to do is give your self extra room between the person in front of you and start braking abit early when coming to a stop.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I've been on summer tires (stock tires) since i got home from Afghanistan...i landed Feb 27th..there was still tons of snow on the roads. We are suppose to get a shit load of snow this upcoming week but if you drive cautionously you will be fine.
BAD advice right here! my car started sliding at 2-3km/h and I was simply not able to stop like not even slow down a bit due to the stock tires and got a 2 inch crack on my bumper.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Oh and snow might not be that bad but once you hit ice you won't have a chance
of stopping like I couldnt stop doing 2km/h outside my house lol

·
Registered
845 Posts
I'd give it till at least early April. Hoping by Easter weather will be 10 or so.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Whoa seriously driving around in high performance summer tires in the winter?

A friend of mine just spend 2 days in the hospital becasue of some fucking idiot driving around with tires that should never see the snow.

As steel said i will be waiting for the mandatory april snow storm before swapping over to summers.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
yea and unfortunely i have been using my car these last 2 days. My gf just had an operation so i been driving all over the place to get things she needs and check ups. Some parts are fine...the anthony hendey is perfect...ish. But the city streets are still abit rough since they dont plow.

·
Registered
93 Posts
(in calgary) i put my stock wheels/tires on.. their bald as crap too.. only put them on because, i went to the cochrane winter rally and ended up with loads of mud and rocks stuck to the inside of my winter wheels.. to the point where they feel unbalanced.. took them off, and they need a really good cleaning not even my garden hose was getting the mud/rocks out.. and too scared to use a screw driver and accdently break off a weight.. so using a stiff brush to knock most of the stuff off then spraying them with more water. the weather is supposed to be good for a few days so i'll clean them up over the weekend and keep my eye out on the weather in the mean time.

This morning was the first time in cooler temps 0c to drive on the advans At what temp do the stock tires loose their grip? they felt sticky this morning.. they also have 8000km and 4 track days at stratotech + 8 autocross days + 2 evenings at the drag strip. at and maybe below the wear markers.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
Mine only have 9000km on them with 1 track day at stratotech and a few drag nights so plenty of tread left. I havent had the tires break loose at all on the pavement, even in the cool temps.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.