Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
[X General Mod], [Sales Mod]
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What did you do to your evo the day after the track? Example: "Drained the dominator, put sig back in"

What did you find?... What worries you?... What was loose? "My ______ was loose"

(If your motor exploded on the track thats a different story.)

Some of us (me) dont yet know what specifically to check for.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Drain catchcan(s), check turbo bolts tightness if on stock frame, get tire psi back down to daily driving if you used same tires, switch back to daily brake pads or check wear level if same pads, put camber back if you added more negative for track, get those pieces of rubber off the nose of you car if you were drafting someone, take a peek at your spark plugs' condition, make sure your firewall and the electrical conduit on it looks okay/not melted or burnt, ...

Sent from ultra buggy Autoguide app

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Definitely check the turbo and downpipe bolts. Pulled my turbo off today to put on my Full Race kit after the car has been sitting a week since the last track day. A downpipe bolt fell out and one was loosen up. Ended up burning a hole through the stock manifold heat shield.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
I think running oil for a single track day then changing it is a bit of a waste. Best bet is to get an oil analysis done. I ran dominator while daily driving, but I just ran short intervals ~2k - 2500 miles. This is with track / auto x days in between.

I was checking my manifold bolts in between sessions, they loosen VERY quickly and easily. You risk losing bolts / studs during the day if you don't check them.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I always clean up the car first; if I don't do a full wash I just do a quick detail, and a full wash of the wheels. It's gives me a chance to look the exterior over closely and note any damage/issues, and cleaning the wheels not only gives me a good look at the brakes and tires, but prevents the huge amount of dust from becoming forever embedded in the wheels.

I've changed to doing oil changes every 2 events, but I do check oil levels as well as the rest of the fluids. I also check hoses and hose clamps throughout the day, especially the vac line on the fpr.

I'm glad I read this though because I was unaware of the manifold bolts, I'll have to add then to my list.

·
Registered
250 Posts
A couple more I do:
Check ayc / acd fluid reservoir in the trunk
Check vacuum lines from boost controller (particularly waste gate line for melting/tearing)
If you have a catch can, drain it.

To those of you who check manifold/ dp bolts between sessions:

How do you do this so quickly? It takes me 15 min just to get the stock heat shield out of the way not considering the time to let the car cool down first.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
When I had my test pipe on, I just ran dominator on the street as well. My OCI's are low, 3k miles, so it's not so bad.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I was checking my manifold bolts in between sessions, they loosen VERY quickly and easily. You risk losing bolts / studs during the day if you don't check them.
Just curious how do you check to bolts from top or put the car up and check from the bottom. Also would like to know if anyone has had the exhaust manifold come loose?

Un fortunately, I'm too late in asking these questions. I was on my last lap on second of two days at Thunder Hill a couple of weeks ago. I got ABS an AYC service soon warnings and when I came off the track my exhaust was sounding much louder than normal. Turns out, the exhaust manifold came loose and the hot exhaust blew an hole in the heat shielding and melted the wire harness and fried the ABS controller. Last week I was also informed by my mechanic that the exhaust manifold is warped.

Also, I had just gotten a 3-port and a tune a few days before going to the track. Is there any way that this could be related? I have no other intake or exhaust mods.

5,198 Posts
Just curious how do you check to bolts from top or put the car up and check from the bottom. Also would like to know if anyone has had the exhaust manifold come loose?

Un fortunately, I'm too late in asking these questions. I was on my last lap on second of two days at Thunder Hill a couple of weeks ago. I got ABS an AYC service soon warnings and when I came off the track my exhaust was sounding much louder than normal. Turns out, the exhaust manifold came loose and the hot exhaust blew an hole in the heat shielding and melted the wire harness and fried the ABS controller. Last week I was also informed by my mechanic that the exhaust manifold is warped.

Also, I had just gotten a 3-port and a tune a few days before going to the track. Is there any way that this could be related? I have no other intake or exhaust mods.
Turbo ever been off or still untouched OEM turbo?

·
Registered
173 Posts
It's stock everything, except a 3-port and a 25 psi tune. Searched through some older threads an found several reports of exhaust leaks while tracking. Wish I'd read those threads before and taken this one more seriously. I guess after 3 1/2 years and 20+ track days, I gotta start looking for these things.

·
Registered
605 Posts
It sounds cliche but you should check everything, I mean everything after a track weekend. After I started time trials in the Evo I would get it up on jack stands and take the time to literally go over everything putting my hands and eyeballs on everything front to back, especially if the weekend involved an off-track excursion. Now I'm not talking about checking the torque on every nut and bolt but you should get the gist. One tips and tricks bit for you: Get the car up in the air with the wheels on. Grab said wheels and try to move them checking for bearing or suspension issues. Also give them a spin again listening for anything beyond the usual rotor dragging. The post race weekend inspection is a crap ton easier now that I'm doing it on an old ass carbureted race car hehe. Takes me half the time to go over it then it did on the Evo.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
It's stock everything, except a 3-port and a 25 psi tune. Searched through some older threads an found several reports of exhaust leaks while tracking. Wish I'd read those threads before and taken this one more seriously. I guess after 3 1/2 years and 20+ track days, I gotta start looking for these things.
I blew my exhaust manifold gasket at Laguna Seca when I tracked there. My car was completely stock with a Bryan tune. Seems exhaust manifold issues happen when you increase the boost. I felt the car lose power and the engine sounded loud when it happened. GST diagnosed the issue and replaced the gasket along with a few studs which snapped off when they tried to remove the manifold.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I blew my exhaust manifold gasket at Laguna Seca when I tracked there. My car was completely stock with a Bryan tune. Seems exhaust manifold issues happen when you increase the boost. I felt the car lose power and the engine sounded loud when it happened. GST diagnosed the issue and replaced the gasket along with a few studs which snapped off when they tried to remove the manifold.
Just curious how many miles did you guys have on your car at this time? I'm at 40,000 miles tuned at 25psi on 100oct?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I don't do anything if i don't have to. But i usually check fluid levels. Every now and then i'll inspect spark plugs. I changed my SST oil after 4 trackdays and it was still brand new. Total waste of 250 dollars..... That shit could last like 7 or 8 probably. SSt spits oil out the breather so you may have to top off every 2-3 trackdays. I change my oil ever 4 trackdays and i run Rotella T6 full synthetic 5w-40. I need to get that stuff analyzed though, real talk. I'll usually visually inspect my rotors for cracks, This is quick and easy. I also visually inspect tires and engine bay. Outside of oil changes, this takes me a total of 5 minutes. I don't do anything i don't have to because i'm a lazy mexican. I check tire pressures after the 1st session. I get my car aligned AFTER every event, which means it'll be good for the next one so i'm not rushing the day/week before. I run endurance track pads so i don't have to change pads between events. They have the track life of 3 sets of normal track pads, and they work when cold so i don't have to swap pads between events. Endurance pads are really a no brainer.

Other than that, i do nothing for regular maintenance. Though shit always pops up when you track... all of that stuff is a case by case basis. Recently i've had alignment problems. I've also had power steering problems. The hardline that goes from the left to the right side of the rack keeps developing irreparable leaks. Tuner suspects its from heat cycling because the downpipe is 4 inches away. I've replaced this line twice in the last 6 months and have now wrapped my downpipe. We'll see if it pops up again.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I just did a 4 session track day. Post track day check indicates that I have leaky exhaust manifold, I see black soot below the exhaust manifold area. Also, downpipe area sound louded than usual and i can smell exhaust fume/fuel when I get my wife to step on accelerator on idle. Looks like I need to replace the gasket.
FYI. I have the MAPerformance EF2.5 turbo.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Check your turbo to manifold bolts. Those are a common sore spot for those of us who have removed or replaced the stock turbo. I have lost a couple of bolts after track days there.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Og_Neon, I checked the turbo to manifold bolt and they are tight. I have gone ahead to remove all the exhaust manifold and turbo manifold bolts.

I searched the forums and ordered a metric stud remover, its all good...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts