Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so recently I bought an 08 evo 5 speed and changed my transmission fluid along with the engine oil almost immediately when i got it but Ive decided to do the transmission fluid again and this time im going to do a full transmission flush. Because by how much metal shavings the magnetic drain plug had on it, i figure the last owner didnt keep up with it as regularly as he should of.
My question is what fluids are out there that i can use as "dummy fluids" that i can add in just after i drain the current fluid just for flushing.
I want to drain my current fluid out(REDLINE Cocktail) put the drain plug back in. Fill it up with dummy fluid. Let it idle for 15-20min on boot jacks, while also shifting through the gear without putting stress on the car. and then after that time, drain the dummy fluid and fill her back up with new REDLINE Cocktail.

Ive read on a few EVO forums that people have used "mineral oil" to do this on their SST's transmissions. Can i do that on a normal 5 speed? Just wanting to see what yall have used or recommend.

Thanks

·
Vendor
12,636 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
If youre looking to just flush it out, use an oil that wont react with the syncro rings. Other than that, any fluid will do. Nothing else in the transmission should be reactive to petroleum based products.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
We offer a cocktail mixture designed for the 5-speed transmission, it's a great mixture and I highly recommend using it. A lot of guys run it and swear by it, it'll shift way smoother and you'll notice a decrease in drivetrain vibrations. However on cold starts you'll still notice some noise but once it warms up it's great!

https://www.maperformance.com/products/redline-transmission-fluid-cocktail-mitsubishi-evo-x-gsr
Lol, he is already using redline cocktail. He is asking for a dummy fluid used during the flush :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ive read on a few EVO forums that people have used "mineral oil" to do this on their SST's transmissions. Can i do that on a normal 5 speed? Just wanting to see what yall have used or recommend.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts