Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I bought a 2014 GSR with 7300 miles a few months ago and while I have researched here since then, I just joined and will properly introduce myself when I have a chance. Meanwhile, I'm faced with a decision I must make in a day or so, so I'd like to ask for a bit of advice.

The car is now just under 15k miles and still under warranty. A local Mitsu dealership has just approved repairing the notorious 2nd and 3rd gear shift grind/crunch as a manufacturing issue :bowlol:. They asked if I'd like to have them put in a new clutch while they are in there. While the current clutch (which I assume is original) feels perfectly fine, I can buy a new one for $489, and they also said yes to installing a performance clutch if I want.

The car is for daily driving to work, kids to school, etc., but spirited driving when I'm alone. I might do an HPDE here or there at some point. Or not. I will upgrade the power in 2018, my goal being up to 350 to 400 wtq, so I'd think an aftermarket clutch, but I don't beat on my cars, so maybe keep current clutch and wait until it dies, or buy a new stock clutch for almost $500? If aftermarket is advisable, which one is another matter, so first thing's first: Advice on keeping the current clutch, buying new factory clutch or buying aftermarket?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Swap it out now, if they are already in there. Also might have the tech remove the clutch pill if he could.

You may still need to do the Clutch Master Cylinder swap yourself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I'm thinking it would be wise to have them put in a new clutch, either factory or aftermarket.

If aftermarket, I'm researching the ACT HDSS, XTSS and HDSD , Comp Stage 2 or 3, CM FX350 and Exedy Stage 1 or 2 HD.

I'm researching the Magnus and AMS CMC kits now. If there's no labor advantage to doing it with the trans out, I'll leave the original one in for a while. With synchro work and a new clutch, I want to see how the trans feels first. Change too many things at once and it's hard to tell what's causing what.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just closing the loop on this: I went with an ACT HDSS with resurfaced flywheel. Break-in is complete and all is good. Pedal has a bit more resistance than stock, noticeable but not bad, and engagement point is better (slightly lower maybe?).

I left the clutch pill alone - I didn't want to circumvent the reasoning behind it, plus I don't think it bothers me and of course the Mitsu techs advised against it (I'd already made my decision though).

I also didn't do the CMC now. Too much dealing with the trans itself, clutch, flywheel and some other parts I brought them. After about a month, I just wanted the car back .

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
The car is for daily driving to work, kids to school, etc., but spirited driving when I'm alone. I might do an HPDE here or there at some point. Or not. I will upgrade the power in 2018, my goal being up to 350 to 400 wtq, so I'd think an aftermarket clutch, but I don't beat on my cars, so maybe keep current clutch and wait until it dies, or buy a new stock clutch for almost $500? If aftermarket is advisable, which one is another matter, so first thing's first: Advice on keeping the current clutch, buying new factory clutch or buying aftermarket?
Cool..... now stop bumping multiple threads which haven't been used in 3 years...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts