Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings folks,
The titles says it all. Ive searched just about every source i could come across, looking for stories about ppl who have encountered a problem similar to the one im currently having. Up to this point, ive managed to find ones that resemble my issue, but dont fully equal it. My problem is with the clutch operation. I had been driving my '10 gsr for about 30min, when i attempted to slow down for a light. I depressed the clutch pedal and felt engine vibration upon reaching the halfway point of the pedal stroke. When i went to select first gear, it was difficult to engage, which gave me reason to believe i wasnt getting full disengagement. My theory was further confirmed as i tried to start moving, due to the fact that I had all but lost my slip travel. The clutch bit about one inch off the floor, and i had no ability to slip it. I checked the entire hydraulic system and found nothing unusual. Also, the problem never got worse, or better for that matter, and actual pedal feel, remains normal. My clutch setup consists of a Spec stage 3 pressure plate and disk, oem slave w/pill removed, braided line, and evo 9 cmc. Ive yet to get weather nice enough to jack up the car and look inside the bell housing through the inspection hole, although i did pull the release fork boot and look inside. I wasnt able to see anything that looked abnormal. I could see that the release levers on the pressure plate appeared to be intact and undamaged. I could also see part of the tob and retainer collar, which also appeared undamaged, and im not hearing any odd sounds. So, I wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue or heard of it happening, Im aware of the collar breaking and the release fork being prone to over traveling. It just seems like every case ive read where theres a failure related to the tob, operation of the clutch ceases immediately. I still have some operation, albeit, not much. I would think that if the tob were to become fully separated from the pressure plate, disengagement of the clutch would be impossible. Im already putting together a game plan to pull the trans, and i know what that involves. I just want to know what im dealing with, and what parts to get. Im thinking ill get a new tob, radium stop, and a monoloc (even though i supposedly have one already). Other than that stuff, i dont know. Ideally, id like to put it back together in a way where this doesnt happen again. Ive already replaced one cmc because of failure. Believe it or not, it was a evo 9 cmc that failed, not the garbage plastic one. Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read this post, and thanks in advance for any input. Im really itching to get back on the road!!
-WILL

·
Registered
831 Posts
I'm under the presumption that your Comp clutch blew up. Buddy lost one of the springs out of the hub and had the same issues you had. Hard shifting, never quite disengaged, etc. The only other issue it could reasonably be is a bent clutch fork, but that happens far less often than the comp clutch failures. Unfortunately, they just haven't got the X platform down just right. They are a great company, the X seems to be the Achilles heel.

The other possibility is the clutch pedal bracket is somehow damaged, but that is a far less common issue.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts