Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I noticed that sometimes my trunk would open while I was driving but all the times I had the fast key in my pocket and i was thinking that something got pressed and it caused that. this time I had the fast key on the passengers seat and i took of from a light and the light came on. anybody had that happened to him?

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
your fast key or the button on the car won't open the trunk if the car is in gear and ebrake is not engaged. The only thing that can open the trunk in this case will be pulling the lever which is cable operated.

I would get the latching mechanism checked.

·
Premium Member
4,779 Posts

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
How often and how forcefully do you open/close the trunk? Maybe the latch is loose and the trunk is slipping off when the car moves a certain way. You can probably remove some pegs to get to the latch then make sure all nuts and bolts are tight.
I hate trips to the dealer so I would check and re-tighten everything and if that doesnt work then go to the dealer. There was a hood latch recall on the 2008 models so maybe there is a less common issue with the trunk latch and you just happen to be lucky.
Or the key could be malfunctioning. Swap the keyfob you have now with the spare keyfob.

·
Registered
14,255 Posts
Maybe youre kicking the latch.

·
Registered
10,012 Posts
is there an escape lever from within the trunk itself? ( I cant remember.. there is one in my MMC Diamante) perhaps thats triggering incorrectly?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.