Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to buy an O2 DP (either AMS or MAP) and thinking about buying a tubular manifold as well?

Is it worth it, from a performance standpoint, to install a tubular manifold with just the stock turbo? Also, how much more work would it be to install manifold at same time as O2 DP (than just the DP alone)? I know I'll have to remove the turbo. After removing turbo heat shields, it seemed like there is a ton of space to work with once the strut tower brace is removed...

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
I have seen some gains of 30+whp with one of those Full race pro-stock manifolds, but i think the numbers were inflated because the temps were different by 30 degrees between the graphs.

Is it worth it? In my opinion, no. Its not worth the trouble or the price to buy an aftermarket manifold for the stock turbo.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have seen some gains of 30+whp with one of those Full race pro-stock manifolds, but i think the numbers were inflated because the temps were different by 30 degrees between the graphs.

Is it worth it? In my opinion, no. Its not worth the trouble or the price to buy an aftermarket manifold for the stock turbo.

I actually just read that thread. But that was a manifold with the longer runners. Can I expect the same gains with the short runners?

It just bothers me not to be getting the "most out of" my stock setup (I'm assuming an aftermarket turbo will still bolt up to tubular manifold)

·
Registered
807 Posts
No need for it with the stock turbo....if anything port and polish ur stock mani.

·
Registered
124 Posts
MAP performance did a dyno comparison on the ported manifold vs MAP turbo manifold shown on the other forum.
With an aftermarket exhaust manifold, you will sacrifice some low end spool but you will make up for it in the mid range and top end. I think the gain in the top end power is worth it.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Just save up for a turbo and supporting mods. If you are running 91 octane that is were the power will come.

Average Headers: $850
Average DP: $425

So $1275 hat almost covers a MAP rebuild for an ef3 and save a little more for fuel pump and kit and injectors. As the manifold goes, PORT IT!!!!! You can't go wrong with that. You just need a little patience.

What ever you do, just enjoy your car.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MAP performance did a dyno comparison on the ported manifold vs MAP turbo manifold shown on the other forum.
With an aftermarket exhaust manifold, you will sacrifice some low end spool but you will make up for it in the mid range and top end. I think the gain in the top end power is worth it.
Can't find it on evom.com. Do you remember the difference? If the ported manifold yields almost as much gains as tubular, I will go with porting the stocker so I won't have to worry about coating, cracking, melting shit. I would probably still have the stock one coated though.

Just save up for a turbo and supporting mods.
I'd love to but I'm still under warranty (or at least trying to be).

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
It depends what you are after.

A tubular MF on a stock turbo will just make it more laggy. You will see a bit more power at the top end though.

But I wouldnt bother getting the stock MF ported, they are weak enough!! mines cracked all the way through running just around 400BHP. I'm on the look out for a full race MF and Turbo:evillaugh:

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
what about a built motor with fuel mods and fp green? I have heard that a stock manifold with porting actually flows really well would I see any real difference with a tubular mani compared to a stock mani ported?

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Well i just installed my new japspeed Manifold and I have to say I'm well impressed!!

The sound has changed to what I can only describe as motorbike like.

And my car flies!! there's definitely a power increase, and I haven't even had it tuned in yet!!:D

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
No sense in adding tubular for stock turbo. The stock mani isn't much of a restriction on stock turbo. Take all part related dyno graphs with a grain of salt, they are typically fudged to hell.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
what about a built motor with fuel mods and fp green? I have heard that a stock manifold with porting actually flows really well would I see any real difference with a tubular mani compared to a stock mani ported?
alot of 500hp cars in UK are still running with the stock MF, but mine had cracked all the way through with just 400hp, so I think porting it (although I know a lot of people do this) must weaken it even more.

No sense in adding tubular for stock turbo. The stock mani isn't much of a restriction on stock turbo. Take all part related dyno graphs with a grain of salt, they are typically fudged to hell.
Yeah your right its not much of a restriction with the OEM turbo, but honestly on my car now there's a bit more lag at the bottom but through the mid range there is such an improvement over the OEM mani. I'm really impressed. + I have plans to get a fp red so the mainfold is necessary IMO.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.