Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are 100 threads on same topics over and over again but I still need opinions especially since ill be looking into a turbo upgrade very damn soon...

Now I have a MR EDM 2008

Current mods:
ETS IC 3.5
ETS UCIP
Cosworth Panel Filter
Grimspeed 3Port
AMS HFC
Perrin Catback
AEM UEGO
(obviously tuned)

Now I see many threads when asking for turbos a power goal in mind and use of car.

So I want around 380whp / 320wtq and quick spool but hold power till red line

Turbos I have considered are FP Green BB and RED BB, EF2, EF3, BBX/BBX lite etc even considered waiting for the EFRs

For Injectors am looking at FIC1100CC and walbro pump
For Exhaust DP AMS and manifold maybe ported stock if not short runner tublar from map

What I don't know what intake to go with since here it get hot around 100 in summer and its humid, currently looking at AEM... with cobb inlet 3inch if I opt for FP turbo

I plan to stay on stock block and I daily drive the car and I use 98RON here which is like 92.5 in the US more or less. I drive alot in city and sometimes high speed in highway when travelling.

So I need opinions on quick spooling but holding power turbos and if someone states FP is expensive i don't care about the money in regards to the turbo, its BB and its been out ages proving itself. which turbo would you recommend considering my goals and use of car with power figures in mind(Remeber its a SST)?

·
Registered
5,257 Posts
Keep the stock exhaust manifold. Go with a BB Green, it'll fit your specifications the best. Making 370whp and 350wtq on mine. Go with an AEM box, less hot air going in from the engine bay. I have an MR and it's perfect where it is for stock block, going to run meth to get a little more out.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ef2 is still not widely proven... and neither BB , its still a option in my mind but look at TR6 dyno with all the mods 370whp.... and and it does seem to drop abit after 6.5 , the green i believe has a better top end slightly

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Ef2 is still not widely proven... and neither BB , its still a option in my mind but look at TR6 dyno with all the mods 370whp.... and and it does seem to drop abit after 6.5 , the green i believe has a better top end slightly
:yeahthat:

Hmmm. Well I went with the BB Red because I knew that if I ever wanted to do a big build I wouldn't need to change the turbo. There are times (at Auto X) where I miss the faster spool of the stock turbo (I hit peak by ~38-3900 w/ a tubular exhaust mani), but I honestly don't think my times are worse with the red than with the stock turbo. It's hard to judge, but you can accomodate for the slower spool mainly by getting on the gas earlier around corners. When the red does spool, it kicks in HARD though and it's a beast. On my very conservative Auto-X tune at like 24.5-25 psi I'm putting 400 to the wheels with around 350wtq which is more than enough. I realized after the Red that I honestly don't feel like I need more power, it pulls so damn hard already!

Depending on the dyno you're on, you should be able to manage 380whp with all of these turbos without much trouble. One thing I can say about the BB FP's, I had some bad compressor surge for a spout there for many pulls and the turbo held together with no issues. I gave me confidence in the quality of the turbo. This isn't to say any other turbo wouldn't have also held together without issue, just my one off experience that may give a little credence to the build quality of the BB FPs.

If I was doing a purely street auto x build and never considered big power and a full engine build, I'd honestly go Ef2 or the BB green.

·
[E-Tuner]
15,918 Posts
EF3 is a great turbo. They make same power as a Red. I just finished tuning an 8 with an EF3 and it made 430 whp on 91.

But for the OP, I would say get a green or an EF2. I have a green right now and wouldn't swap it out for anything. I was dead set on the EF2 but I got a killer deal on the green. I got my JB green to hit 22 psi by 3200 rpm in 3rd so its still very quick spooling, and it holds power all the way to redline. You should easily be able to get 380 whp with a green or an EF2

You can't go wrong with AMS products, and the FIC 1100's are great. I would get something bigger than a walbro though. Go with at least a DW300 or an Aeromotive 340

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Happymint your a gsr right? I do have a sst ... Not sure which is better, i also like the bb units because of the oil requirements :) is it true that for pump gas the green is better?

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Which vendor can supply bb green at good price ;) also what WGA is recommended?

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I heard they dont hold boost well? And i dnt know which option to go with 18 or 25psi ...

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Happymint your a gsr right? I do have a sst ... Not sure which is better, i also like the bb units because of the oil requirements :) is it true that for pump gas the green is better?
Yes I'm a GSR. Shouldn't make any difference if you're pump or not as to which turbo you should get. A lot of people run pump on the Red (I do). Running E-85 would make the Red even more ridiculous though, and you could run more PSI (if you were built) and get a little better spool. My Red holds 27psi all day to redline (on an 18psi WGA).

·
[E-Tuner]
15,918 Posts
in real world testing you need a wire upgrade if running pumps other than the walbro to get the flow rates advertised. mrfred did a great write up on the other forum
Right. To use the upgraded pump to its full potential you should upgrade the wiring. But it will still pump more than enough for a green with the stock wiring.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Back on topic, WGA which one to with? Heard fp doesnt hold nboost well , is forge better?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.