Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bad news folks....my 2nd HKS GTII turbo has took a crap on me yesterday...after only 4 months on the road.

It happened when going WOT in 2nd gear around 6000rpm, all of sudden a pop noise and I lost boost from that point. I popped the hood and searched for lose connection but everything appeared normal. Not too long after the exhaust starting smoking followed by loud noise coming from the turbo.

The car is at the shop now and from the sound of it seems like the turbo bearing is acting up. The turbine wheels seems to spin freely as we can hear the induction noise, but you can hear this loud grinding noise coming from the turbo. We will remove it in the next few days to see what's the damage...

I have contacted Iveytune about warranty, Sean replies immediately so turbo will be sent back to HKS for inspection.

More to come...

***PICTURES OF DAMAGE POSTED ON PAGE 9****

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To be honest with you, I'm starting to lose faith in HKS turbo at this point...most likely I won't be running the same turbo for the next build.

But before jumping into conclusion, I would like to find out what caused the failure first.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Besides Hollywood X, I'm probably the 2nd person who has gone through the most number of turbos in the shortest time. FML.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hard luck mate, I hope it gets sorted out and you get a new one to install/offload - I don't think I could go through 2 of the same Turbo's and then put in a third...

Has anyone else had any reported failures with these Kai units?

·
Registered
5,995 Posts
Sorry to hear man, we've sold so many of these and you're the only guy whos had problems so far. Twice!

I got your PM, I'm working out the price and looking into stock for you.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Please let me know if it is the shaft that snapped.

You have 2 similiar type failures .. and I have a gut feeling why .. but all is guess for now

Bad news folks....my 2nd HKS GTII turbo has took a crap on me yesterday...after only 4 months on the road.

It happened when going WOT in 2nd gear around 6000rpm, all of sudden a pop noise and I lost boost from that point. I popped the hood and searched for lose connection but everything appeared normal. Not too long after the exhaust starting smoking followed by loud noise coming from the turbo.

The car is at the shop now and from the sound of it seems like the turbo bearing is acting up. The turbine wheels seems to spin freely as we can hear the induction noise, but you can hear this loud grinding noise coming from the turbo. We will remove it in the next few days to see what's the damage...

I have contacted Iveytune about warranty, Sean replies immediately so turbo will be sent back to HKS for inspection.

More to come...

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will update once I know more, but what's your guess at this point?

Please let me know if it is the shaft that snapped.

You have 2 similiar type failures .. and I have a gut feeling why .. but all is guess for now

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Did you ever have any issues like this with the stocker or the FP_Green?

Man, grab an FP_Black, its a direct drop in and your car will haul ass too boot.

NEWB

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
^I think his motor is not build. Or is it??
True, but i luckily made 430WHP on 20psi of boost.

He has more mods then me and could easily excel that with out much fuss or risk to his engine.

·
[Local Team Member], aka JDAVID-EVO X
16,650 Posts
Yeah he has more mods or better mods but getting a big turbo on a stock motor is risky.. if he goes black why not trying the Ams turbo kit. :)

I have always said a black or bigger turbo plus a good GOOOOD Tune on low boost could be just fine for a lil while.. all you need is to keep an yey on that TQ..but I could be wrong..

1 - 20 of 142 Posts