Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

Turbo issuss??

662 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  bwills 
#1 ·
Help! I have an 08 evo x gsr and I just upgraded my manifold since it had a crack, in the process I upgraded the down pipe, innercooler and exhaust side of the turbo due to studs breaking. Since I got it up and running now it sounds like it's supercharged (meaning it's whining) I am still having boost cut off when WOT. I am stumped with all the possibilities it could be and don't know where to start.

#3 ·
I don't have any pictures but I upgraded the manifold from stock to a tubular due to a crack in the original one. And the downpipe I upgraded to a MAP one. All the gaskets are there and everything is torqued to spec. I had the boost lag prior to replacement and i assumed it was from the manifold crack but now it's worse. It also sound like it's supercharge . I'm unsure if that's how it's supposed to with the ETS intercooler .

#4 ·
When you had the turbo off, did you check it for shaft play? Of the compressor wheel is contacting the housing it can make a whining noise and can even lock up causing you to lose boost.
You can pop the intake and the inlet elbow off the turbo and check pretty quickly by grabbing the nut on the compressor wheel and checking for in/out and side/side play. It shouldn't move hardly at all in and out but there's normally a little (tiny) bit of play side to side with a journal bearing turbo.

#7 ·
I second the boost leak idea. After replacing my UICP it sprung a leak around one of the couplings that I believe i had over tightened, had noticeable high pitch whistle when in boost, readjusted it and drove fine. Few days later it completely came loose on start up and it sounded like a turbo diesel the way it whistled. Maybe check all rubber couplings on intake and intercooler systems. At least you could then rule those out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.