Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know of only SSP and Carbing, of which Carbing design provides more ground clearance but SSP covers more of the underside. None seem to have air guides like the stock.

I am looking buy one soon, so what other options are there?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SSP has vents, similar to stock. I'm running one since my stocker has trashed. So far so good.
I see only one vent for the tranny, that too has no channels to guide the hot air away. The tiny leaflets on the side do nothing for a GSR. no?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I'm no air flow expert, but the way I look at it, as you drive cold air will be coming in and there is a way for the hot to get out.

Plus Jermey has been racing with his which will be more extreme then I will ever put my car through.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^true.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Stock; Mitsu put a lot of aero work into the plastic undertray including efforts to reduce lift at high speeds and help channel air towards the brakes and transmission/transfer case.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I ordered my SSP undertray but due to holiday season and unlucky breaks at the shop, mine will be shipped Monday. Black coated as well :)

Kracka is right on the aero design of the stock one, but I am willing to sacrifice some rock or bump on the road or scrape raping my plastic undertray to being "aero" at high speeds. The max I will ever do on public would be 130-140 and thats only for a few seconds so no biggie...

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
not so slammed Ray but a coke can would scrape rolling in through the front of my car.

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
A coke can lol.. You mean a rock? I have the Carbing tray, its great. 6 bolts, takes 3 minutes to take off. Has vents, JDM vents:p Downside is it doesn't have "full" protection as previously mentioned by Jeremy. Missing like 6 inches of protection under the the foglight area. I personally don't think it matters too much.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
I chose to stay with the OEM one. The SSP is a PITA, you have to remove the whole damn thing unless all you want to do is change the oil. When I do my transfer/transaxle fluids, all I have to do is remove one or two panels and that is enough of a PITA.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
I had the SSP one on my old Evo and it's undoubtably a nice quality piece, it's just not for me. I did my first oil change on my new Evo the other day and started to take the whole under tray off until I realized it was only like 10 bolts lol.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
It's not 10...like 7 or 8 lol!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
It's like 27 or 28 for the SSP lol

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
It's like 13 lbs. I know for a fact it's not 27.

Also, you only have to take off a couple bolts to do a oil change since it has precut holes for that.

Also, to take off the whole undertray is like 15 bolts. I would bet I could take off the SSP understray faster than a stocker. Because the stocker has those stupid plastic clips which are a pain to get out. Unscrewing the bolts is much faster.

I will say it's probably slightly faster to put the stocker back on if you have to do it by yourself since its eaiser to handle. If you have 2 people, they both take the same amount of time.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Here is the specs from Jeremy's post. I knew it wasn't 27. I think the weight of the stocker is like 5 or so. So to add 8lbs and get the protection, it's a no brainer if you daily drive your car and also drive in the winter. My stocker was tore up after 1.5 years and was almost completly gone when I replaced it.

Specs:

* 13.0 lbs total weight!!

*6061 ALUMINUM CONSTRUCTION (2.2mm thick)

* Attaches to all factory panels, no drilling or

modifications needed.

* Oil filter access

* Added louvers for cooling benefits.

* Comes with all hardware and fittings needed

* Replaces 100% of the OEM plastic under panel

* Fits RA model and most aftermarket spoilers

1 - 20 of 22 Posts