Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perrin Unichip Review

I have had the Unichip in my car now for about 4 weeks. Before getting into all the details, I just want to state that I am very happy with the overall results. The device has given me a noticeable increase in power, acceleration, and driving pleasure. All of this without any drivability issues, hiccups, or strange / erratic car behavior. The car is completely stock so all these numbers and information are based strictly on the addition of the Unichip device.

Installation:
The downfall with most piggy back type devices is that they need to be wired into your stock ECU somehow. The Unichip is no different than many other piggy back solutions, and it does require some ECU wire splicing. However, Perrin will be providing some very easy to use clips, along with very clear instruction on which wires will need to be joined to use the device. I would say that the entire installation can be done in about an hour, if you are familiar with wiring diagrams. It will also be necessary to remove the intake to easily access the ECU harness and create a clean installation. Fortunately, this is a very easy process, and doesn’t take much time.

Dyno Results:
Coming into this, I wanted to compare my car against the base Evo that Perrin has. The only difference is that I have the factory ECU update on my car. As you can see, we had very similar results. Though I was off by about 14 WHP when compared to the Perrin Evo X, we still made very similar numbers.

The Tune:
Next, with the Unichip installed and ready to go, Perrin installed the Stage 1 Evo X base map. The change was quite dramatic immediately on the dyno. The car really sounded stronger, and smoother, in the top end. Another noticeable change was the boost curve. It was quite a bit smoother, over the MBC, and held nicely at 23psi before dropping down to ~17psi at redline. Perrin is currently investigating some different methods for holding boost a little longer and there may be updates to this later. Take a peek at the Dyno results below:

As you can see the Unichip helped pick up 44.1 ft/lb of Torque and 55.9 WHP. More importantly, the X picked up a lot of power across the entire range of the run, and not just a peak number. This nets more power through the entire acceleration curve, and is VERY noticeable on the street.

Other Comparison:
Since I used this Dyno quite a bit on my Evo VIII, I thought it would be interesting to show the differences in how the two cars perform. Seeing this chart really showed me how much more powerful the base X is over the VIII. In this Dyno comparison my VIII had 264/272 cams, TBE + Cat delete, Intake, and EBC running 22 psi tapering to 19psi at redline, and a UTEC computer tune. All that work and money gave me a car that had 313whp and 311 ft/lb of torque. With the X, just a simple Unichip installation is giving me 318 ft/lb of torque and 313whp! Even with the weight differential, it is obvious that you are going to get a lot more for your money with the X when it comes to your final numbers!

Another interesting thing to notice is how the X is building boost a bit quicker the VIII did, and holding power all the way to redline. Something the VIII always had issues doing. I would contribute this behavior to the MIVEC system in the X, which is obviously showing quite a bit of benefit for the design. Dyno charts below:

Three Weeks of Driving:
When it comes to performance parts, I am on picky s.o.b. It is very important to me that whenever I add a part to my car, that it doesn’t completely ruin some other function of my vehicle. As such, I am happy to say that I have no complaints about the Unichip design. After several weeks of driving around, I have been unable to identify any drivability issues with the design at all. There is no noticeable “tip in” point, and the car responds much quicker to throttle changes then it ever did before.
I have also found that the handling system seems to be unaffected by the changes! Granted, with all the new found power, I have found myself losing traction a bit more often in accelerated turns, but it sure is damn fun!
Under controlled cornering, I did not feel any noticeable loss of control, or instabilities from the Unichip. The car still holds line perfectly, and the ACD+S-AYC systems still operate normally, without any issues. There were no ASC error lights or codes created from the Unichip installation or usage.
Gas mileage stayed the same as it did prior to the Unichip installation. This is no surprise since the device does nothing until you build a certain amount of boost. There were also no part throttle issues, highway, or high gear issues to report either.

Final Thoughts:
I have found the Unichip to be a great solution and I am very happy with the results I have seen with it. I highly recommend it to anyone that is looking to add more power, and smooth out those acceleration curves! For more information, contact Perrin Performance @ www.perrinperformance.com

Thanks!
Chris

· Registered
3,986 Posts
Took you long enough for the review! :p

I am glad to hear that the additional power didn't affect the AWD system. Looks like a tune is a must have mod!

Great review! Do you know if there are any additional updates in the future?

· Registered
389 Posts
so is this just a part for plp who are no going to redo their comp system, like aem or motec....you know what i mean

· Registered
1,078 Posts
Great review do you have a how to on installation PDX?

· Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm, wonder if it'll work on the JDM version. Does it also get rid of the speed governor? On the JDM version the governor kicks in at about 190km/h
I am not sure if this would work on the JDM version or not. It seems like this shouldn't be an issue, but without having a JDM car to test on, it would be risky.

so is this just a part for plp who are no going to redo their comp system, like aem or motec....you know what i mean
If you plan on going to an AEM, MoTec or other stand alone setup, then it wouldn't make sense to purchase this product.

your car is completely stock? No drop in nothing? No catback? Am I reading that right 313/320?...Wow how nice is that!

So what's the stage 2 map like? And what do you need to use it?
Perrin is still developing the Stage 2 setup. I got to peek at the FMIC and Exhaust, and I was very impressed with what I saw. Last I checked, Jeff was doing comparisons between the cooling properties of the stock FMIC and their gigantic FMIC replacement. Thats one thing I really like about Perrin products. They really go all out in testing every aspect of the component! Anyway, I would guess that Stage 2 will be exhaust and maybe FMIC, but I don't know for sure.

Great review do you have a how to on installation PDX?
Sorry, I don't have a full How To: on the installation yet, but I will have one eventually. ;)

· Registered
6,969 Posts
Good Stuff PDX. I know you answer tons of questions on this, but I have 2 more. Would this be a mod that could be taken off to go to the dealer, and they would not be able to tell?? Is it recognizable when they plug into the ODBII Port? Thx for the awsome review it helps alot. It gives people a good option that do not want to do a mail in flash, and dont have the option to go throw the car on the dyno for a tune

· Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good Stuff PDX. I know you answer tons of questions on this, but I have 2 more.
No worries! I welcome all and any questions!

Would this be a mod that could be taken off to go to the dealer, and they would not be able to tell??
If installed in an inconspicuous location, I don't really see any need to remove this to go to the dealer. If you do need to remove it, it is fairly simple. There is one option of just pulling the brain and looping the existing cables, which would be nearly invisible. Maybe Perrin could include this as an option in the kit. Ill ask.

Is it recognizable when they plug into the ODBII Port?
No. This device has no impact on the OBD-II porition at all. Not MUT-III scan will identify this device either.

Thx for the awsome review it helps alot. It gives people a good option that do not want to do a mail in flash, and dont have the option to go throw the car on the dyno for a tune
Anytime!

· Registered
6,969 Posts
I think I will have to settle for this. I really cant mail my ecu in for mail in flash, because I need my car everyday and there are no tuners even kinda close to me. I wanted to wait until the Accessport came out, but it wont be out till the end of year to next year. The Accessport Flashes the car. It is not a piggy back from my understanding.

· Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Perrin is still finalizing the final price, but it has been quoted in the $500 range. The Unichip is nothing like the Accessport. As stated by dcasandman, the accessport flashes the raw ECU.

· aka FooFighting24/7
1,809 Posts
good read, thanks for review. this is what ive been looking for.

· Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You know, I would have thought this would exist on the Unichip website (www.unichip.us) but I couldnt find a list of authorized dealers. You may have to contact them directly.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.