Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have that stupid ticking noise that everyone is talking about...Does anyone know if changing the injectors will help with the ticking noise...I was going to go to 1000CC + and prob Fuel Lab or Injector Dynamics...your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
You'll have to get retuned after changing them. So is it really worth like 800 bucks to get rid of a "ticking" sound?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Why do you need 1000cc injectors? What mods do you have?

And like HappyMint said, you will need a tune after their installation. If you change injectors and need a tune, you might as well install a whole batch of mods at once to save on tuning costs. Up to you of course.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What does get it returned mean? My list of MODS include
(1) Upper and lower ICP
(2) 4 in ETS Intercooler
(3) Turboback exhaust from ETS with high flow cat
(4) ACT Street Racing Clutch good for 650WHP
(5) Cobb access port tuning
(6) Boost Solenoid
(7) Injen Intake
(8) Custom Carbon Fiber Panel with Wideband,Air/Fuel Ration/Oil temp
(9) FID Turbo Manifold

Different dynos show different number but on Dyno Dynamics 350Hp 330Torq
and on Mustang Dyno 400+HP and 380Torq

·
Registered
516 Posts
I dont think you would need 1000cc injectors unless you were in the market for a turbo swap or an e85 tune. I have fic 1100s and i hear ticking by the way. (probably louder than before). Our cars make noises, it's life. As long as your injectors work correctly I wouldn't swap them just to try to fix a sound.

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
He means re-tuned... You can't just throw in bigger injectors, they need to be tuned.

My FIC injectors and my old DW injectors also "ticked". Just deal with it.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Did the owner of a modded evo just ask what it means to get tuned? I'm going to go ahead and assume that you bought the evo as it is? The dumbed down version of what a tune is, is a person goes into your cars computer(ecu) and changes the parameters of the car like fuel, boost, timing and things like that. So if you change the injectors your car will be seeing more fuel then what the computer is told it should be seeing and the car will run like shit.

In other words, always go and get a tune after major mods, since a tune is not cheap most people tend to buy a bunch of parts at one time and install them and then get a tune versus buying a single part and getting a tune an then another part 3 months later and another tune.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know what retuned is I just misread it. I thought it said returned...But yeah I know I have to get it retuned and so I was going to wait until april....I plan on getting the injectors put in along with a bigger ES Intake and Mass Airflow adapter and a new throttle body. Almost thinking about waiting cause I am getting upgraded pistons, valve,valve springs and a bigger turbo....So there is no way to deal with this ticking...I mean when I am racing I don't hear it but when its idling its annoying as hell.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Do you hear the sound when you are in the car driving? The only time I hear it is if the hood is open and engine running. When I'm in the car driving, even with the radio off, I dont hear it. But maybe I'm not listening for it?
Its like that tiny ding on your car that you can find in a matter of miliseconds but will take someone else 10min of hardcore staring to spot.

If the sound really bothers you then add sound dampening material. Add it to the fire wall, doors, roof, maybe some on the underside of the hood. If you wanna get crazy have a shop do the whole car. You may add 50lb but I bet that ticking sound will disappear along with other roadside noise. Also swap your windshield with a lancer (I believe they are thicker).

·
Registered
516 Posts
the more you do to the car the more fun noises like these you will have.. (generally).

as far as im concerned the following sums up our situation.

why tick at idle?

because racecar.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah i hear it when I am idling and it gets a little louder when I go but after 3000RPM i dont hear shit but my turbo in BOV....the crazy thing is it just started...Maybe my oil change and the car doesn't like the AMSOIL....I don't know i am just annoyed at hearing it....NKBourgeios does your injectors tick like the stock ones?

·
Registered
516 Posts
they are louder. i dont know why but when it got cold i started hearing them alot more. maybe the contraction of everything because of the temperatures during winter. Could be the same with you.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Awe I have heard that getting 10 weight oil will help the noise down cause the injectors have some kind of seal around them and when its cold the seal isn't a full seal but when using a thicker weight oil the temp rises to make the car seal in colder temps....i am not sure that is true but sounds like something to look into.

·
Registered
516 Posts
i run 10w40

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Awe I have heard that getting 10 weight oil will help the noise down cause the injectors have some kind of seal around them and when its cold the seal isn't a full seal but when using a thicker weight oil the temp rises to make the car seal in colder temps....i am not sure that is true but sounds like something to look into.
Changing your oil because your injectors tick?

Seriously, get over it or buy a new car. One or the other.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
That maybe why mine started ticking,...I will change the weight cause I am running a 5 weight...And Weebles NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I love my car and plan on keeping it I just want to see if there is anything out of the Norm or if every Evo has that tick....If you haven't noticed its on like 89389 forums on EvoX talking about it and some say something about the bearings in the car...but mine doesn't seem to be the norm...
Thanks for the Info.

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
That maybe why mine started ticking,...I will change the weight cause I am running a 5 weight...And Weebles NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I love my car and plan on keeping it I just want to see if there is anything out of the Norm or if every Evo has that tick....If you haven't noticed its on like 89389 forums on EvoX talking about it and some say something about the bearings in the car...but mine doesn't seem to be the norm...
Thanks for the Info.
I already said, my stock injectors, my FIC injectors and my DW all did it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.