Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all I am seeking advice asap for my evo x. Long story.

I got a job in SoCal was supposed to move from MN to CA last week. Had some maintenance done on my evo x mr the week prior. I also decided to modify it a little and regret the hell out of it. Here's my issues,

Tried to flash a rom from my tuner and about 75% complete it failed and left the car in programming mode "bricked ecu" so I took the ecu out and drove it 2 hours north to Minneapolis and had it bench flashed. Got back and it was still stuck. Had the car towed to a VERY REPUTABLE evo shop in MN they cleared it and the tuner there threw a base map to drive the car home. I got home and got a new USB cable for my tactrix cable after suspecting mine was bad. Tried to flash my etuners flex fuel base map and it bricked again.

So I had a local electronics guy try to build a bench flash harness (I couldn't keep paying to tow the car 2 hours) well that really fucked me over he cut into the harness connecting to the ecu and idk what happened but im assuming touched two wires and fried something. So I had the car towed back up to said reputable shop they thought he shorted the ECU had one overnighted as I was supposed to be in California that week for work. The ecu came today and they programmed it and still no luck. The car doesn't even attempt to start and is in programming mode (all dash lights on and fans on high)

So with no luck from the ecu he swapped BCM/ETACS from a ralliart he had available and still nothing.

What else could we look at? I'm supposed to start work Monday and already pushed my start date back 1 time I cant lose the best opportunity I've ever had due to this, someone please help.

Edit: the car was completely stock and I installed the following:
3in turbo back exhaust
AMS intake
ID 1000cc injectors
Walbro 450 pump
ETS UICP
Grimmspeed 3port ecbs

The car has ran with these parts and the MN shops base map

Currently items that have been replaced:
Couple fuses
ECU
BCM/ETACS unit
Battery

·
Registered
164 Posts
Have you retried your old ecu? Also did you also change the vin on the new ecu and the etacs? I believe it needs to match the vin of the rest of the car otherwise it doesn’t run.

Also if your ecu bricks again I suggest benching it yourself. It’s not too hard. You just need some 20-26ga wire, a bunch of small connectors(I used dupont connectors) and a power supply(even 12v battery works).

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you retried your old ecu? Also did you also change the vin on the new ecu and the etacs? I believe it needs to match the vin of the rest of the car otherwise it doesn’t run.

Also if your ecu bricks again I suggest benching it yourself. It’s not too hard. You just need some 20-26ga wire, a bunch of small connectors(I used dupont connectors) and a power supply(even 12v battery works).
Yes we have tried both ecus, 3 different laptops, 2 different tactrix 2.0 cables and 3 different USB cords.

This is what the mechanic told me about programming the vins
"I can’t write the vin since the coms don’t recognize the ecu is in.
I can plug the ecu you shipped to my car and I can read it.
When I plug it into your car the fans just stay on and no coms."

·
Registered
515 Posts
Based on your mechanic's feedback, it sounds like there's still a problem in your harness. Check the pins in your OBD connector and then check all the wires in the harness where the "electronics guy" messed around.

Seriously though, that "eletronics" guy was messing with your harness while the battery was still hooked up?? WTF?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hmm, if the vins isn't the problem then it's probably a wire or connector like splattj said. At least you know how it got shorted. And yeah it's really weird that the electronics guy forgot to unplug the battery. I guess shit happens. When I'm in a hurry I also forget sometimes.

But yeah before you keep looking try benching the ecu yourself and see if you can read it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He got the car running with new new ecu.

Trans was having issues because the mechatronic unit didn't have correct vin.

Car is tuned and running good so far.

Just one more issue. I noticed when in park with ebrake up all lights work as should. When I put into gear or take brake off with lights set to off the driver side headlight turns on and is flickering like crazy. When I turn switch to on the driver light goes normal and lights up as should while passenger light does not turn on.

Any idea?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Still has some issues. It made it to California however. Its going to 5150 racing to get tuned Tuesday.

As much as I'd like to sell it I don't wanna I have way too much into it and just re did a ton of stuff (put ohlins, new falken tires, all 4 wheel hubs, timing chain and water pump just to name a few) i wanna keep it as a daily.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes we have tried both ecus, 3 different laptops, 2 different tactrix 2.0 cables and 3 different USB cords. This is what the mechanic told me about programming the vins "I can’t write the vin since the coms don’t recognize the ecu is in. I can plug the ecu you shipped to my car and I can read it. When I plug it into your car the fans just stay on and no coms."
Make sure all pins to you ECU and BCM are straight and not bent!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts