Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I've got an infra-red thermometer and would like to use it at the track to optimise my tyre pressures! Any tips/ideas on the best way to attain this? I'm guessing I want to get all 4 reading the same temp and do so by adjusting tyre pressure.............

·
Registered
14,174 Posts
I have long thought about using laser thermometers and integrating their readings into some sort of system that will give live, accurate readings on tire pressure. This seems expensive and unneeded.

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
i've tried it but tires cool down too much by the time you get to the pits, take your helmet off, get out, etc... .they're all about the same temp, or at least close enough to not make any useful conclusions.

You're better off looking at wear over a few sessions. Measure tread depth on the outside/center/inside around each tire and avg those 3. If any corner is wearing unevenly or out of sync with the rest, see if you can adjust pressure to balance it.

The IR thermo is good for monitoring brake rotors though! I found my rears would be WAY hotter than my fronts if I did a session with ABS one-click off instead of full-off

·
Registered
279 Posts
Infrared thermometers are terrible for this. You need a pyrometer for accurate readings. I've done this at the track with my friend Bob's SpeedSource RX-7. To do it properly, you actually need a few people/pyrometers. We sat at the paddock just after some long S's. He ran the car for 4-5 laps and pulled immediately into the paddock. We ran out with pyrometers and measured the inside, middle and outside of each tire and recorded the results.

Like I said, you really need multiple pyrometers because the other tires will be cooling while you're measuring the first tire.

·
Registered
14,174 Posts
3 IR thermometers built into each wheel well?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Infrared thermometers are terrible for this. You need a pyrometer for accurate readings. I've done this at the track with my friend Bob's SpeedSource RX-7. To do it properly, you actually need a few people/pyrometers. We sat at the paddock just after some long S's. He ran the car for 4-5 laps and pulled immediately into the paddock. We ran out with pyrometers and measured the inside, middle and outside of each tire and recorded the results.

Like I said, you really need multiple pyrometers because the other tires will be cooling while you're measuring the first tire.
X2

two going on at the same time I would do fronts first then rears.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.