Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im not sure if this is the right thread catagory for this. Its an odd issue. As some of you know there is a vent in our trunk. Driver side under the liner there is a plastic vent thing that fills a massive rectangle hole in the body. Not sure why there needs tp be a vent here but anyway. Car is fully stock but after doing a pull I smell exhaust in the car. Windows cracked or down i smell it. Took out the liner in the trunk and the plastic piece was completely missing. Must have fallen out or something. So the hole is open and letting in air right into my trunk. Think this is the cause of the smell. Where would i get a new piece to put back in? As of now i used 3m tape and cardbord to cover it up with a smaller hole in it for venting porposes.

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
The vent is thee to allow air escape when ventilation system is on, it also helps to easy closing the doors since air can escape as well. Porsche 944 didn't have one and sunroof would pop out from it's location when closing the door too aggressively.

I would think that vent shouldn't be the cause of your smell. Leaky exhaust connection under the middle of the car can be though.

o test this, turn on the fan on highest and see if you can smell the exhaust. If you can, get closer to the front vents and see if it's coming fro there - then we are dealing with manifold gasket issues.

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
^ Is it like a flap that doesn't allow air to go back in?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For testing purposes I used 3m tape and cardboard to close the hole and the smell is gone after WOT pulls. Ill be searching for the replacement part online somewhere i suppose. Also I do not have a sunroof and the doors close fine with the hole where the vent should be, covered.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You’re smart for catching this early. I had a surge tank installed and part of the installation removed this vent to make room for lines and such. Had the smell of exhaust for years and ignored it. I just felt it was part of the experience. I became miserably sick with numerous unknown conditions over those years. Turns out after a chemical tox test, I was poisoned by industrial chemicals all relating to gasoline and exhaust. Fun times.

·
Registered
5 Posts
@Apex_evo - Did you ever managed to find that black plastic vent? I have been searching online for few days but unable to find part number. Can you share part number if you have it?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts