Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last saturday i find some drops of fluid in my garage, so i back the car out to find out what it is and it smells like, and is, LSD Gear Oil.
So im thinking :wtfsign:, i jack the car up and take off the skid plate to find the sway bar, downpipe and transfer assembly vibration damper covered in gear oil.

So, what leads me to believe that my transfer assembly vent spewed gear oil is 1) there are no cracks in the housing, and if there were, it would not spray as it did, 2) no wierd noise or grinding while driving.

Taking it in to the dealership to get it checked on.

Has anyone had this happen before? And if so was it warrantied or did they have to replace anything?

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
you shot your pins out. Common. usually happens around the time you launched it or slid the car.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
[X Performance Mod], [Racing Mod], [Local Team Mem
11,761 Posts
What year is the Evo, I believe there were some factory overfill issues with some 2011s and some transfer case seal issues on some 2010s that caused leaks.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
lol, never launched or drifted.
Either way you vented it. Dealer should cover you I think but you gotta ok them to take it out and apart which is like 1500. If they accept responsibility you don't have to worry about that 1500 if they don't cover it you're getting bent over the counter.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2008. It might be an overfill as i did the transfer case fluid change 1500 miles ago for the 30k service. Thats tough to say though since its pretty hard to overfill this things. i mean it leaks out when its full and you just plug it back up when it stops leaking...

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
2008. It might be an overfill as i did the transfer case fluid change 1500 miles ago for the 30k service. Thats tough to say though since its pretty hard to overfill this things. i mean it leaks out when its full and you just plug it back up when it stops leaking...

My boy blew his and drove around for a full two days before he started hearing noises from it being completely dry he only noticed the puddle when he pulled in on the second day. He pulled the tray and saw the fluid. he couldn't see the vent but he drove it to the dealer and they diagnosed it and took pics of the hole.

I hope that's not your issue but being that you own an evo it probably is.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My boy blew his and drove around for a full two days before he started hearing noises from it being completely dry he only noticed the puddle when he pulled in on the second day. He pulled the tray and saw the fluid. he couldn't see the vent but he drove it to the dealer and they diagnosed it and took pics of the hole.

I hope that's not your issue but being that you own an evo it probably is.

I really doubt it is a hole or crack as the spray is not centralized to a specific location. It is about 8-12" to the left and right of the driveshaft with a small puddle on top of the transfer assembly where it meets the driveshaft. That tells me it must have come from the top. And if something ruptured to the point of creating a hole in the transfer case, i would feel or hear it. And if it was a rupture that only caused a crack, it would not spray in such a manner.

Regardless, i havent been driving it since this happened so im taking precautions.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
I really doubt it is a hole or crack as the spray is not centralized to a specific location. It is about 8-12" to the left and right of the driveshaft with a small puddle on top of the transfer assembly where it meets the driveshaft. That tells me it must have come from the top. And if something ruptured to the point of creating a hole in the transfer case, i would feel or hear it. And if it was a rupture that only caused a crack, it would not spray in such a manner.

Regardless, i havent been driving it since this happened so im taking precautions.
Either way hope you get it shorted out. Also my boy complained about his being over filled from the factory and this happened to him 6-8 months later.

·
[Detailing Moderator], [Local Team Mod], [Bone Clo
21,478 Posts
Either way you vented it. Dealer should cover you I think but you gotta ok them to take it out and apart which is like 1500. If they accept responsibility you don't have to worry about that 1500 if they don't cover it you're getting bent over the counter.
If it's not warrantied it's about 1500 for the labor and then whatever the cost of the repair itself? Or would the OP be looking around 1500 total?

·
Registered
490 Posts
I would say once you do get a leak regardless of the origin, with the moving parts under the car like driveshaft etc., the fluid would end up everywhere and make it extremely hard to find.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
If it's not warrantied it's about 1500 for the labor and then whatever the cost of the repair itself? Or would the OP be looking around 1500 total?
No 1500 to pull the transfer case and crack it open (don't know why you have to open it if it has a hole in it already). Basicall its diagnostic fee. They send the pics to Mitsu corporate and 9 times out of 10 they replace it if it's the first time. 2nd time is a tossup. 3rd time they say its abuse and usually don't cover. Its usually just shy of 5k job total job if the dealer is replacing the entire unit.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Take a look at the bottom rear section of the transmission... I am sure you will find your hole... it will look like someone tried to chissel out of your tranny
Yea i looked exactly for something like that and did not find it. And if it is on the bottom, how did it get on top of the transfer assembly?

I would say once you do get a leak regardless of the origin, with the moving parts under the car like driveshaft etc., the fluid would end up everywhere and make it extremely hard to find.
The half shafts were barely sprayed as well as the propellar shaft. Also while the propellar shaft had some streaks on it, the rotating motion of the shaft and forward motion of the car could not disperse fluid to the front of the car, it must travel out and rearward.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Yea i looked exactly for something like that and did not find it. And if it is on the bottom, how did it get on top of the transfer assembly?

The half shafts were barely sprayed as well as the propellar shaft. Also while the propellar shaft had some streaks on it, the rotating motion of the shaft and forward motion of the car could not disperse fluid to the front of the car, it must travel out and rearward.
When you taking it to the dealer?

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When you taking it to the dealer?

Tomorrow. Based on a quick chat with the service dept, chances are its the vent, but it still needs to be inspected.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
*UPDATE*

Mitsubishi got back to the dealership and I will be taking it in this thursday.

In other words, yes this is Warranty work. I will ask the dealership, but does anyone know how this problem is prevented form happening again? Do they replace it with an uprated seal?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts