Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
My Rexspeed painted VG flew off, but luckily landed on the grass off the shoulder.

I had installed it using the 3M tape Rexspeed included and I had waxed my car, just a day prior to installation, I thought it will help take the VG off when need be.

Now what is the best tape in the market that wont damage the paint yet hold the VG in place at all speeds. Any tricks anyone know that might help get a better bond?

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Well that defeats the purpose of a VG :)

Thinking you're going to have to strip that wax to get a good seal. The 3M tape with the red backing will hold a gorilla on the wall.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
You don't need to strip the wax. You just need more of the red 3m tape, which can be bought at your local automotive shop. Make sure you heat up the tape prior to laying it down for better adhesion... especially during the cold winter month of December.

·
Registered
22,717 Posts
If you were going the speed limit it probably wouldnt have flew off.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^^ I saw a ralliart in my rear view mirror. He prolly laughed seeing my VG fly off.. hah

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Definitely the tape by 3m. I had the apr vg and that thing came with crappy foam tape. I took it off and replaced it all with the automotive molding tape from 3m. Was at a road course 2 summers ago doing 100+ mph all day and no issues.

The heat is a good idea. I actually had the first gen apr vg with the base on it so I had to heat the vg to get the base flush with the roof. I didnt realize it at the time but maybe that heat helped keep it on the car.

·
Registered
22,717 Posts
^^ I saw a ralliart in my rear view mirror. He prolly laughed seeing my VG fly off.. hah
Lol I would have tried to run it over
If you plan to go the speed limit, why buy an Evo?
what kind of dumbass comment is that? If you bought an evo to break the law, your one of the idiots on the road that give people with cars like ours a bad name.
you're retarded. do chicks with boob jobs always have thier tits out on public?
Some people just don't get it I guess

·
Cunning Linguist
12,363 Posts
If you plan to go the speed limit, why buy an Evo?

If you plan to continue posting on this forum, why post about doing 100 MPH on a public road?

·
Registered
9,566 Posts
Lol I would have tried to run it over

what kind of dumbass comment is that? If you bought an evo to break the law, your one of the idiots on the road that give people with cars like ours a bad name.

Some people just don't get it I guess

Read above, sounds like a pot and kettle who are both screaming at each other....BLACK!!!!!

but OP maybe next time say it happened on the track or slow down.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Read above, sounds like a pot and kettle who are both screaming at each other....BLACK!!!!!
What in hell are you talking about. The members you're referring to race on actual certified race courses in no way is that breaking the law. I don't get what you're trying to say.

·
Registered
22,717 Posts

but OP maybe next time say it happened on the track or slow down.
Not sure how you come up with the pot calling the kettle black bit.

We really need a sarcasm button or font on here. I thought the lol in front of it would have gave that away but guess not? Not only that buti don't see how you take what I said and what op said and get even close to the same concept

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I did not mention the speed to imply how fast I was going, but to articulate that the VG held pretty good under normal driving but when the wind force became high it flew off, so I need something stronger to hold it to the car..

Also I touched 100mph for 1sec maybe, its not street racing!! Stop being anal about speed guys, it was just a second and everyone does that. My 50yr old dad has hit a 100 and I bet President Obama has too, now get off my back about speed...

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I had it on using 3M, it did not hold.. is there a specific kind of 3M or was it just installation error or the fresh waxing that din let the 3M stick too well..

·
[Local Team Member], aka pimplay2
7,791 Posts
im guessing the wax because wax tends to push things off the paint lol... i have 3M and yes there are different kinds some are thicker then others.. i used all off what rexpeed sent me and about another 3 foot extra

1 - 20 of 50 Posts