Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a little vibration at higher speeds and last time I got balanced it didnt get rid of it completely. I need a solution that is NOT going to change my wheel offset.
I guess I need hubcentric rings since spacers add offset? Can somebody point me in the right direction?

My wheel and tire specs:
19.10.5 CE28s +12
275/30/19
Project Kics Neo Chrome Lug nuts

·
Registered
8,773 Posts
I fought this for over a year. The balance on my car was being set static instead of dynamic. With aftermarket wheels you are going to want to dynamic balance them, when weight is added, it is added on the outer and inner rim vs just bulk weight in the middle. I had mine redone (static, didn't realize it) over 4 times, once it was dynamic balanced all was good. My vibration was at exactly 70-75mph. I tried 2 sets of hubcentric rings and it didn't fix it either, only the dynamic balance took care of it.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I fought this for over a year. The balance on my car was being set static instead of dynamic. With aftermarket wheels you are going to want to dynamic balance them, when weight is added, it is added on the outer and inner rim vs just bulk weight in the middle. I had mine redone (static, didn't realize it) over 4 times, once it was dynamic balanced all was good. My vibration was at exactly 70-75mph. I tried 2 sets of hubcentric rings and it didn't fix it either, only the dynamic balance took care of it.
oh wow! It is going to be fun to look for a place that does dynamic balance.:duh:

Where did you end up taking yours? Local place?

·
Registered
8,773 Posts
oh wow! It is going to be fun to look for a place that does dynamic balance.:duh:

Where did you end up taking yours? Local place?
Most every shop can do it, even Discount Tire and Firestone, etc. Just make sure when you get them balanced tell them you want dynamic instead of static. You can tell really easily, take a look at your rims and see if there are weights in the middle or on the outer and inner sides.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Most every shop can do it, even Discount Tire and Firestone, etc. Just make sure when you get them balanced tell them you want dynamic instead of static. You can tell really easily, take a look at your rims and see if there are weights in the middle or on the outer and inner sides.
Awesome!

I have weights on the outer and inner sides..

·
Registered
752 Posts
Get hub rings for god's sake regardless.

Wheel nuts do NOT hold on the wheel, the hub does. If your wheels are not the right size (67mm) then get yourself some hub rings to make it all work as it should. I'd be taking a gamble and saying 73-67mm would be the right size.

Tapered wheel nuts and wheels are not a replacement of the hub, they don't make everything fit nice enough to be balanced.

As for how common this is? I'm still to find an Evo with aftermarket wheels to come into my workshop that hasnt required hub centric rings...

Oh, and get steel rings, not plastic or alloy.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Wheel nuts do NOT hold on the wheel, the hub does. If your wheels are not the right size (67mm) then get yourself some hub rings to make it all work as it should. I'd be taking a gamble and saying 73-67mm would be the right size.

Tapered wheel nuts and wheels are not a replacement of the hub, they don't make everything fit nice enough to be balanced.

As for how common this is? I'm still to find an Evo with aftermarket wheels to come into my workshop that hasnt required hub centric rings...

Thanks for the info. I guess just for the insurance purposes and doing it right from the first time I will go ahead and order rings too.
Which hub centric rings do you recommend?

·
Registered
752 Posts
I made my own out of stainless as I didnt like the plastic rings out there, nor did I like the longevity of alloy rings, to easy to bend the buggers or get nicks in them etc. As for Plastic... that is just crazy,

Sorry, I cant be of more help on a recommendation for you. ;)

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I made my own out of stainless as I didnt like the plastic rings out there, nor did I like the longevity of alloy rings, to easy to bend the buggers or get nicks in them etc. As for Plastic... that is just crazy,

Sorry, I cant be of more help on a recommendation for you. ;)
No problem.

Correct ring sizing is OD 73mm and ID 67.1mm for my volks, anyone?

·
Registered
8,773 Posts

I use plastic rings and they work just fine, track, autocross, DD. I didn't like how the aluminum ones tend to seize up after a while, I know you can put anit-seize but I don't like that crap getting all over the place.

·
Registered
8,773 Posts
Awesome!

I have weights on the outer and inner sides..
You can try rings then, sometimes with lugcentric wheels, the lug holes can be a tad off. I got the black plastic ones from eBay for like $8 but as I said it didn't fix my issue. You could possibly just have a bad balance job. Take it somewhere else and have them toss the wheels on their balancer.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You can try rings then, sometimes with lugcentric wheels, the lug holes can be a tad off. I got the black plastic ones from eBay for like $8 but as I said it didn't fix my issue. You could possibly just have a bad balance job. Take it somewhere else and have them toss the wheels on their balancer.
Having the weights on inner and outer part of the wheel means I have dynamic balance tho?

These are the one you are talking about?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/73-1-67-1-H...ies&vxp=mtr&hash=item5d2fca2a86#ht_2711wt_900

·
Registered
8,773 Posts
Having the weights on inner and outer part of the wheel means I have dynamic balance tho?

These are the one you are talking about?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/73-1-67-1-H...ies&vxp=mtr&hash=item5d2fca2a86#ht_2711wt_900
Yeah, that's them. I am not sure if that is the vendor I got them from but they look the same. I got mine from this seller and they have held up well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350095192024

Yep, that is dynamic, basically the balance weights are fitted to the outer and inner flanges of the wheel. Dynamic balance is better (it is more comprehensive) than static balance alone, because both couple and static forces are measured and corrected.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, that's them. I am not sure if that is the vendor I got them from but they look the same. I got mine from this seller and they have held up well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350095192024

Yep, that is dynamic, basically the balance weights are fitted to the outer and inner flanges of the wheel. Dynamic balance is better (it is more comprehensive) than static balance alone, because both couple and static forces are measured and corrected.
Thanks for the great info!

And those rings should fit my volks, right?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.