1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
602 Posts
Suggest you make a poll. As for winter tires, I have no clue (California... figures).

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lousevoxmr, i was thinking of doing a 225/50/18 or a 225/45/18 on the stock rims, i know it will be streched, but i'm hoping the bigger sidewall will compensate, but beyond that, any recommendations on the tires themselves

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Have experience with Blizzak LM-60's on a Nissan 240SX in a couple Buffalo winters. If they can get that car through two Buffalo winters they can get the Evo through anything.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Me and my entire family use/used blizzak's for northern Wisconsin winters, I highly recommend any model of them. I've used blizzak's on fwd and rwd car's / trucks and they've all ways been the best and made it through the most. I can't attest to the dunlop's tho GL with your decision.

·
Registered
216 Posts
For winter tires, it is best to really keep track of the latest technologies. They are changing steadily, and a tire/brand that was tops just a few years ago may now be hopelessly behind.

I chose Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3s myself two years ago and they are quite good - and I am quite happy. They are NOT for deep snow - they are for slush and ice.

In general, Blizzaks have been the best tire for many years now, and they do keep upgrading to the latest technology, but the one thing that I hate about them (not sure if they have changd in the last 2 years) is that the siping (I believe that is the name for it) - which is what makes them a good ice tire, is only good for half the depth of the tire, so in general they wear out (as far as ice goes) when the tread is only half used.

They are really good, but just don't last. Other tires are generally a step behind, but last (much) longer. I could never bring myself to buy them.

Regarding your Dunlop choices - the tires are similar, but I would say the M3 is better for deeper snow, and the 3D for slush and lighter snow.

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
I got all four RE960's to break loose for the first time yesterday.... while in limp mode in 5th gear ;) lol. they def don't hold nearly as well as the stock advans, as there was an MR in front of me and a GSR behind me both on them and neither had any loss of traction. still pretty respectable and easy to handle in a slide for an all season

·
aka TJs98GT
589 Posts
i used general altimax artics last year on my svt focus and they were great

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.