Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone who wants to get into a GTR one day, if you're anywhere from 18-30 I have a few warnings.

1. You will get rude personal questions almost every time you see a stranger

2. Most other owners think they are 'rich' and in a higher 'class' because of money. Not to mention stuck up as hell

Example pulled off GTRLife today:
"Most of you don't realize that the civic owners moving up to GTRs are hurting the value because they can't afford it with mortgage like payments and when they dump they really dump these cars. The civic and EVO mentality people have infiltrated what was once a more unique Japanese car community and you can only guess the rest. This is plain and simple, just look what happened to the Supras."

3. I don't recommend taking the car out in public too much, enjoy it and have it be yours. Sometimes people can ruin the experience

4. Be humble

5. Be careful with driveways with ditches/inclines and of course avoid potholes when possible

6. Choose your Dealership/Shop very carefully

7. Do not get a big loan out, pay all cash or mostly cash

8. Keep it shiny, don't let anything near it in the garage/driveway
(Body parts and Detailing = $$$$)

9. Share the experience if a fellow car enthusiast approaches you
Let them check the car out

10. Don't race the idiots on the highway, Keep your head rotating and eyes peeled when driving along

Actually pretty shocked at the difference between evo/sti/30-40k sports car owners and most of these guys.
It's a shame how money can affect some people.

·
Registered
7,755 Posts
Ferrari owners said the exact same thing about F40's in the early 90's. Way back when they were selling for ~$200K.

Now high-mileage, beat-to-hell units are selling for >$500K, while low-mile nice ones are worth almost triple that.

So much for the rich folks & their "predictions".

Fuck 'em.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Fuck em is right.

I for one am not proud to be apart of a group of owners with mentality's like those.
The X was pretty awesome because no one looked at it like it was anything else if they didn't know what it was and it also didn't attract too much negative attention which causes bad interactions. It was real fun to and you didn't have to be as careful with it.

Now owning the GTR for about 3 months i've been attacked almost every week once or twice. Weather its going out in public, a car show, or on forums you name it.

It's not a car i would daily. Hopefully in the coming months of ownership it all this crap doesn't ruin the experience.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Fuck em is right. Just look at this shit. http://www.gtrheritage.com/topic/5111-apparently-im-making-the-gtr-depreciate-because-of-my-age/page-4

I for one am not proud to be apart of a group of owners with mentality's like those.
The X was pretty awesome because no one looked at it like it was anything else if they didn't know what it was and it also didn't attract too much negative attention which causes bad interactions. It was real fun to and you didn't have to be as careful with it.

Now owning the GTR for about 3 months i've been attacked almost every week once or twice. Weather its going out in public, a car show, or on forums you name it.

It's not a car i would daily. Hopefully in the coming months of ownership it all this crap doesn't ruin the experience.
Must be an Upstate NY thing. I immensely enjoyed my undergrad years at the U. of Rochester - but some of the local denizens...let's say that I'll take dirty Jersey over that any day.

·
[Detailing Moderator], [Local Team Mod], [Bone Clo
21,478 Posts
"Most of you don't realize that the civic owners moving up to GTRs are hurting the value because they can't afford it with mortgage like payments
If I bought a car that had payments like my mortgage, I could get two Lamborghinis with 100% financing. Now I need to go pay my mortgage and slowly cry into a bowl of ramen.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
If I bought a car that had payments like my mortgage, I could get two Lamborghinis with 100% financing. Now I need to go pay my mortgage and slowly cry into a bowl of ramen.
I ate ramen for a year straight, every single meal, to help save up for the evo haha.
That's funny that you say that though. I don't own a house yet but soon! or i could live in a lambo...

Yea i grew up in rochester and it has really sucked honestly. Every other place out of state ive been so far seemed to have really nice people compared to here.

I imagine that the U of R would have a lot of out of state people coming in so it would be pretty enjoyable. That's cool you went there.

·
[Detailing Moderator], [Local Team Mod], [Bone Clo
21,478 Posts
Hahaha. I finally got my condo. It took forever to be built, and now that I have it, I can sigh a big sigh of relief. No more saving cash for that 20% down payment. Of course, handing over the check was excruciatingly painful. lol

·
Registered
399 Posts
Anyone who wants to one day get a GTR if your anywhere from 18-30 I just have a few warnings.

1. You will get rude personal questions almost every time you see a stranger

2. Most other owners think they are 'rich' and in a higher 'class' because of money. Not to mention stuck up as hell

"Most of you don't realize that the civic owners moving up to GTRs are hurting the value because they can't afford it with mortgage like payments and when they dump they really dump these cars. The civic and EVO mentality people have infiltrated what was once a more unique Japanese car community and you can only guess the rest. This is plain and simple, just look what happened to the Supras."

3. I don't recommend taking the car out in public too much, enjoy it and have it be yours. Sometimes people can ruin the experience

4. Be humble

5. Be careful with driveways with ditches/inclines and of course avoid potholes when possible

6. Choose your Dealership/Shop very carefully

7. Do not get a big loan out, pay all cash or mostly cash

8. Keep it shiny, don't let anything near it in the garage/driveway
(Body parts and Detailing = $$$$)

9. Share the experience if a fellow car enthusiast approaches you
Let them check the car out

10. Don't race the idiots on the highway, Keep your head rotating and eyes peeled when driving along

Actually pretty shocked at the difference between evo/sti/30-40k sports car owners and most of these guys.
It's a shame how money can affect some people.

I read the thread and it appears you took it personal. The same thing happened in the Evo community once the 8's and 9's dropped down to about $15,000.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Most was cleaned so you couldn't have read it all. Tbh when a bunch of 40 year olds gang up on a 19 year old and personally attack him based off age its pretty hard not to take it offensively. Its disrespectful and pathetic to say the least.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Most was cleaned so you couldn't have read it all. Tbh when a bunch of 40 year olds gang up on a 19 year old and personally attack him based off age its pretty hard not to take it offensively. Its disrespectful and pathetic to say the least.

I have no regrets other than going on a forum with stuck up 'rich' people. Buy a gtr you'll find out for yourself.
Its discrimination based on age. I hope you don't actually think that a younger person buying a car affects its value. If that's the case i might have to get a lambo in the future.

Not sure how rich those guys are. They were wining about how much their GtRs have depreciated.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Not sure how rich those guys are. They were wining about how much their GtRs have depreciated.

"I'm not worried about the loss of value on a GTR compared to exotics. To nickel and dime over a couple thousand $ and my Mclaren looses way more from new. I hope they keep production up as the GTR lost its exclusivity in the past couple of years. Most of you don't realize that the civic owners moving up to GTRs are hurting the value because they can't afford it with mortgage like payments and when they dump they really dump these cars. The civic and EVO mentality people have infiltrated what was once a more unique Japanese car community and you can only guess the rest. This is plain and simple, just look what happened to the Supras."

Most people with lots of money love to bitch, complain, and wine about everything. They are not rich. As Bob Marley said richness is Life.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
The civic and EVO mentality people have infiltrated what was once a more unique Japanese car community and you can only guess the rest. This is plain and simple, just look what happened to the Supras."
Bet you the majority of them don't even know what the GT-R lineage is.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You think GTR owners are annoying with the flaunting? You should check out an AMG meet haha. Just messing around, nice write up.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
Bang, a year old zombie thread is alive..ALIVE!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts