Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we put Evoscan in your Evo
So you can Evoscan while you drive your Evo

meh, I tried. Anyway steven88 got me a good deal on his used single-din and dash so I finally got to do this project that I've always wanted to. Getting the necessary parts new would have cost so much more so I had always put it off - thanks for the hookup steven88.

I had an old tablet PC lying around that my sister didn't like - this is NOT a navigation unit. It is a tablet PC that has navigation and music capabilities - oh and windows XP; so it can run ANYTHING a normal computer could run. In essence a carPC without the hassle. This was made back before tablets became popular, so it's a windows XP based tablet (not iOS or Android). It's slow and interface is not as friendly as the newer models, but running on XP does have its benefits..... :shades:

Oh, and that evoscan feature of gauge displays? :dancebanana: who needs a GT-R

It's incomplete as far as wiring, but this is how it will look. Just need to order some 90-degree bend USB and AUX cables. good to have the interior back together to drive the car. will have more pics tomorrow! :godance:

·
Registered
215 Posts
Dats hot u think it's possible with a pioneer z130 bt

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wow thats sick! i wish we could do it with the stock navi unit...
You could with a carPC feeding video input to the OEM nav, but it would be more involved.

sick setup! which dash kit is that and can you hook me up with the gtr gauge layout I've been looking for it
this is the scosche kit, which I was kind of disappointed in. The texture doesn't 100% match the OEM dash. As for fitment, I'll reserve judgement since I've done so much hacking and fiddling with it that I caused the minor gaps - still nothing noticeable compared to what I gained though

the gauge layout is included with the latest version of Evoscan. I haven't even gotten to browsing through custom gauge layouts

Dats hot u think it's possible with a pioneer z130 bt
problem is evoscan runs off a computer. this tablet was made before tablet OS's became popular and stand-alone. since it's windows XP based - the navigation and media player are all windows applications - evoscan and ANY XP computer application can run on this. oh the possibilities... :eek2:

I literally have no ideas for other programs I could install. possibilities are nearly limitless (obviously no high end games). it can be so much more than just a navigation - evoscan is the first step. I guess it could play movies and emulators - what else? :shades:

·
Premium Member
11,760 Posts
I am proud of you exyia, I really am. :clap:

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
So you've got this running with an audio out from the headphone jack that then goes into the aux input on the headunit? and you're really not using the headunit for much other than let's say volume control?

You could get centrafuse software and put it on there which is a cool touchscreen overlay for windows that will convert that tablet into a very car friendly device.
Would be nice to arrange the windows in a way that you've got the gauges on one half of the screen and then your navigation and entertainment controls on the other side so you can see both!

Oh and...
I heard you like Evoscan for your Evo
So I put evoscan for your in evo in your evo
So now you can evoscan in your evo while you're driving your evo

·
Premium Member
11,760 Posts
Centrafuse is a good suggestion.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So you've got this running with an audio out from the headphone jack that then goes into the aux input on the headunit? and you're really not using the headunit for much other than let's say volume control?

You could get centrafuse software and put it on there which is a cool touchscreen overlay for windows that will convert that tablet into a very car friendly device.
Would be nice to arrange the windows in a way that you've got the gauges on one half of the screen and then your navigation and entertainment controls on the other side so you can see both!

Oh and...
I heard you like Evoscan for your Evo
So I put evoscan for your in evo in your evo
So now you can evoscan in your evo while you're driving your evo
yes - the first problem of replacing the oem radio with the tablet was that the tablet isn't a radio, so I would lose that function. The single-din radio is there to replace that, under the HVAC. It's pretty much there just to be the radio, constantly on AUX hooked up to the tablet. So whatever the tablet is doing - music, navigation, both, etc - the single-din just takes it and plays it to the speakers. Don't care for the other features - the tablet has limitless "features". so yes, you're right - pretty much just volume control

are you saying centrafuse is a touchscreen interface? (I'm at work, can't google/look into it) but this tablet is fully touchscreen already, with a software keyboard. as for the gauges, evoscan lets you drag around the gauges however you want - and create custom skins - so that's not a problem

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
EvoScan is working on a program that runs on the iOS and Android tablets for those of you that want to do this with your iPads and such. Just give them time or you can say F it and do what he did. Either way, it's an awesome mod.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
EvoScan is working on a program that runs on the iOS and Android tablets for those of you that want to do this with your iPads and such. Just give them time or you can say F it and do what he did. Either way, it's an awesome mod.
wasn't aware of that. I might be jealous once it does become available - because iOS and Android are much more tablet-friendly OS. Thankfully, I still get complete flexibility with windows - that will keep me happy and unique :godance:

just tested the Nav on the way home from work - perfect reception. nothing hindered by all the extra brackets and wiring. I wish I could use this tablet's FM receiver and not have to use an AUX-in, but the reception is TERRIBLE. I don't know why (not a huge car audio guy) - in my toyota and mazda, it works fine. The antenna recieves normal radio stations fine as well - just terrible static to this tablet. :( oh well, AUX cable wiring won't be too hard. having a USB hub will be cool too - could literally plug in anything!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts