Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been getting a weird grinding noise kind of, it only happens at 2k rpms. If I’m at a complete stop and I rev the car to 2k rpms I’ll hear a rattle kind of or humming. When I accelerate it goes away when I pass 2k rpms. It’s coming from my front end but i can’t seem to figure out from where any ideas ?

·
Registered
37 Posts
First thing I'd look for is exhaust leaks. My mid-pipe was leaking at both ends when I bought mine, and it had a bit of a rattle from 2-3k rpms. I may be way off base, but it never hurts to check lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
If it sounds like metal to metal contact, here are some common culprits to look at:

-Shake the intercooler piping to see if its hitting anywhere,
-Look at the test pipe/high flow cat for hitting the drive shaft bracket underneath
-Serpentine belt tensioner - known recall on certain years
-Check all heat shields around the turbo, around the AYC underneath, etc (these are usually taken off to perform service and usually break bolts or forget to put all of them back on)
- If its a GSR and sounds like its coming from the transmission side (drivers side), then could be a clutch throw out bearing.

Try to have someone in the car while you stand outside to start identifying the general area of where the noise is coming from.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts