Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

New here and unfortunately I seem to have some bad luck.

About a month ago I picked up an 08 MR from a guy, it was sold to me as mechanically stable.

I drove it home, then took it about 5 minutes up the road and gave it some gas getting on the highway. I noticed a very sudden loss of power, with a flashing SES light. I got off the highway and could barely get it started again. It was cylinder 1 plug, the electrode was literally bent. Replaced all plugs and coils, car was idling a little weird but all seemed okay.

About an hour later I'm getting cylinder 1 misfire codes. Pulled plugs, retorqued, checked gaps, all seems fine. So I bring the car to a mechanic I trust to help me with a compression test and sure as shit cylinder 1 is only getting 70 PSI. Add a little oil and it gets 130.

Shoot, okay, made an appointment with a garage to have the thing pulled apart and completely gone through.

On my way home from the compression test (driving very gently) I hear a very strange pop sound... Not like a backfire, but more like the sound popping one of those plastic packaging bags makes followed by what sounds like air chugging. Then a sudden and noticeable loss of power. I get into a parking lot immediately and before the car even gets to a complete stop, it dies and will not restart.

I just had it towed home. Did a visual check on vacuum lines and intake but didn't get far. Car cranks but will not fire.

Not sure where to start with the compounded issues. I just want to start it up to be able to pull it on to the trailer to get it to the performance garage. Any advice or experience with this is helpful. Thank you.

· Registered
78 Posts
if you just had the motor rebuilt i wouldn't touch anything personally, they could claim you were messing with it and broke something. if you leave it as they left it, it's still their problem

is it too far to have it towed back?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts