Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok well to make a long story short last week it snowed pretty bad here when I was going to work I was turning on a street and my car catched ice so I went sliding right to the side walk my whole passenger side hit the side walk n it scratched both rims .... Two days later when I'm driving at around 50-65 mph in 5th gear I start hearing a low humming noise kind of like a tire noise when ur driving in the freeway I done my research n some people say it could be the wheel bearing but then some say it could be the t-case or rear differential idk what to do if someone could help me out let me know thanks in advance

·
Registered
433 Posts
My first thought was the wheel bearing but i dont know if the impact to the sidewalk would cause that. Your best bet is to stop driving as much and take it in asap to minimize and possible damage. If you have a way to lift the car, lift it up and turn the wheels manually to try and spot any noises and where they are coming from. Sorry to hear about the accident :(

·
Registered
433 Posts
Also try going in neutral at that speed and see if the noise starts too. If it does it when in neutral im pretty sure its the wheel bearings

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The impact wasnt that bad at all I was even going 5mph while turning I just catched ice n went sliding to the side walk....I work at a dealership n we lifted the car n we didn't hear anything and to answer ur question it only makes that noise from like 50-65 ratio but if I go faster it kind if stops but as soon as I let go of the gas it starts doing that noise again I just hope it's not the t-case or rear differential...

·
Registered
228 Posts
Take a corner at the speed u hear the noise, if it gets louder when turning one way and quiter the other way then it's a wheel bearing

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually i already tried doing that since one of the technicians at work told me to do that but nothing happen like to clarify things the sound sounds like how those trucks with with big tires sound like when there driving

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
make a video!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I hardly think you'll be able to hear anything thru the video I myself have to put my windows up n turn off the radio in order to hear it

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
have you got winter tires on?

If so? they could be the wrong way round. Check the rotation arrows, cos that would make the noise your describing.

Also, try what alex the great said. Jack your car up and spin the wheels with your hand.

does it do it in any gear at that speed?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No I havent put winter tires cause where I live we don't get a winter lol
And I also tried what Alex said we actually lifted up at work n when didn't hear anything it just happens in 5th gear when I'm going 50-65 mph if I go faster u won't hear it but if I'm going 65 and let go of the gas it makes the noise again

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
No I havent put winter tires cause where I live we don't get a winter lol
And I also tried what Alex said we actually lifted up at work n when didn't hear anything it just happens in 5th gear when I'm going 50-65 mph if I go faster u won't hear it but if I'm going 65 and let go of the gas it makes the noise again
Oh yeah Texas :-D could be the clutch release bearing. Have you tried doing that speed, and pushing the clutch in and out? if the noise go's away with the clutch in then it could be that.

If its not that? then I dont know.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll give it a try once I get home from work I just hope it's nothing serious like the transfer case I don't wanna take it to the dealership because in my opinion there plain stupid n thanks spikester603 for ur help

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
I vote wheel bearing, but only slight damage. You're not going to damage your tcase or rear diff by going sideways into a curb so slowly. The CV joints have enough play to shield those components from damage in such an impact. The shock of the impact is going to go from your wheels through the wheel bearings and then into the rest of the suspension. So with the wheel bearings definitely being in the path of the impact, I'd be inclined to say you probably damaged one or two of them, but not so badly as to show all the symptoms. So now you can either change them out or just drive until it gets loud enough to definitely diagnose which bearing is affected.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Two things to check....

1) See if when you hit you knocked off some of the weights on the rim that balance the tire... At a higher speed you will hear more of a wheel nose when the tire is not balanced (weighted) properly.....

2) You could have knocked the front alignment off and that would create more road noise at higher speeds. This would be due to the tire not sitting properly with the road and the tire tread could be creating noise.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Alright well I'll take into consideration all of the input u guys gave me I serious hope it's just a wheel bearing I'll check it out as soon as possible and when I find out what it is I'll post it up so if some day this happen to u guys too you'll know what it is thanks again everyone :)

·
Registered
398 Posts
I say wheel bearing.

Get to about 40-50mph, with the windows up and the music off.

Put it in neutral and so a slalom, shifting left to right. the side that it gets quite on is the side that needs to be replaced (if its a wheel bearing) by putting weight on the bearing it quiets down the sound.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
I say wheel bearing.

Get to about 40-50mph, with the windows up and the music off.

Put it in neutral and so a slalom, shifting left to right. the side that it gets quite on is the side that needs to be replaced (if its a wheel bearing) by putting weight on the bearing it quiets down the sound.
yep. go on the highway. have buddies be ahead of you by a mile and in back of you as well. have the front lay down cones and you do the slalom. then the buddies in the back pick up the cones. lol

1 - 20 of 31 Posts