Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As you guys know my motor blew so I got a new motor put in and they put in a new transfer case also. Ever since I've it it back it has a loud wine noise When I'm on the gas, but not when I'm not. Is that a normal Evo thing? I put the stock exhaust back on so mabye I'm just hearing noises? It's pretty loud though so I'm thinking it's not normal. Anyone know what would cause this?

heres a video.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I am getting the exact same whine off late. Thats only when i keep my foot on the gas like you are experiencing. Initially it started with a high pitch whine at high rpms only, But since two days its continuous sound.I took it to the dealer and they ordered a nex exhaust muffler and a new BOV saying that its boost or an exhaust leak.:duh: I keep telling them that I feel its TC whine, but they would just not listen. Oh well, I know the sound will show up even after they put in the parts, but what the heck new parts are always good.
By the way, My car is a 2010 GSR with 18 k miles on it. Complete Stock.

·
Premium Member
11,756 Posts
could just be the turbo whine too. Its also something that would only surface when throttle is being applied.

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
That is NOT normal. My guess is a bad seal on your TC.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Update on the Whine

Little background on the issue..

I had a high pitched whine at 3 rd gear and high rpm and took it to the dealer. They assumed its a leaking muffler and BOV, and ordered parts for it. Meanwhile, As i waited about a week for parts , I started getting this whine at all RPM`s which sounded EXACTLY like the video OP posted. I took it in today to put in the new parts and asked the dealer to diagnose the sound further. They got back to me saying the Transfer Case has taken a crap.I still have warranty so it should be ok.

Now, Are our TC`s that fragile? How can an integral parts such as a TC fail so easily. I have NEVER launched it, Never tracked it and also completely bone stock,Not even a tune and has a little over 18k miles on it. Its my DD and I dint want to have any reliability issues until I got a beater. So watch out for these issues everyone.

·
Registered
14,174 Posts
DIFF GRENADED. lol

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Im on my 2nd TC in 4 years and its started whining again:duh:

Either they have put your tires on rotating the wrong way (that gives off a whine like that), or that is TC whine IMO.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.