Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got some new tires from tirerack and drop my car at the nearest shop to my work. It happens to be mavis tire.

I drop my car off at noon along with my buddy's 2011 Mustang GT for tires. The kid says "I love seeing awesome cars at the shop"

They call at 330 to tell me car is ready and I made a fatal mistake...I said how late are you guys open? he says 6 and I hang up and I tell my boss - poop - now they know I won't be there for awhile.

Pickup the car at 5 and immediately notice a check engine light and the tpms light on. I assume the CEL was thrown b/c of the tpms so I go back in. Ask the kid and he says it will auto fix itself after 20 miles or so. I then notice that the car has 1.7 more miles on it then when I dropped it off (and I took a cell pic at dropoff and another at pickup).

The tpms goes off after a few miles and the CEL is still on - confirming my worst fears. I call the shop and they give me the "what ohhh - we had no idea - we didn't open the hood blah blah blah).

I head to autozone since it's closer to my house then checking my cobb and it's a P0300 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire. WTF! :eek:mg:I'm so pissed I'm shaking and call the manager who denies any knowledge of it and says the line guy left for the day and will call me back tomorrow (Before that he says ohh just stop in and i'll clear the code lol)

I cleared the code when I got home and drove 5 miles and it didn't come back on. At this point I have pics of mileage before and after as well as showing the CEL at pickup.

So the question is...did they F-up a valve during their joy ride or over-revving in the garage?

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Oh boy! Reminds me of how Americas tire damaged my Aero kit and tried to hid it by parking further away from the customer pickup lot between two cars. I was steaming!

·
Registered
538 Posts
I took my car in for an alignment at FV Tire Pros (SC Mistu recommendation) and the tech takes my car for a joyride as well. I check memory recall on my gauges and everything was maxed out. Freakin pissed, told the owner and he said he would, "talk to the guy." After that I do all the work myself. Can't trust anyone to touch your car, they just don't give a chit.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the Cobb ap and I always flash the Valet mode if I am going to leave my baby anywhere.
dammit - wish I thought of that....

Stopping in tomorrow with $500 cash offer to any employee who will testify the car was abused. Hoping to go with my buddy and video. Should be interesting...

·
Premium Member
11,760 Posts
I never leave my car unattended for simple things like tire replacement etc. Then again, I can work from anywhere as long as I have my computer and my phone to tether an internet connection to. :)

I also only use race shops to do any kind of install including balance and alignment. They end up being a bbit more expensive but I never have complaints about work done.

·
aka ityn
2,779 Posts
I never leave my car unattended for simple things like tire replacement etc. Then again, I can work from anywhere as long as I have my computer and my phone to tether an internet connection to. :)

I also only use race shops to do any kind of install including balance and alignment. They end up being a bbit more expensive but I never have complaints about work done.
+1

I never leave it unattended, and it's always nice to see a Lamborghini or Ferrari at the same shop.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
all tire shop records the car's current mileage at the time of the drop off, on paper! there should be no way in hell the car can put on 1.7 from the small parking lot to the work bay.
i rarely leave my car unattended. if i do leave, i take a picture of the current mileage in front of the workers! than once i come to pick up my car, i compare it and take another snap shot. it shouldnt even add .1 to your mileage.
i even reset my odo trip without them knowing, just to make sure they didnt joy ride.

good luck man to the OP, hope nothing serious happen.

·
Premium Member
11,760 Posts
When tires are done, they might take it up for a test drive to ensure there is no vibration after the new balance. So some distance does make sense. 1.7 seems just a tad bit high though.

·
Cunning Linguist
12,363 Posts
I'm not gonna question that they might've abused your car, but is it realistic to think that 1.7 miles of that will give you a P0300? I'm being serious in this, as well. Because it's really, really hard to over-rev our motors due to the ECU...

·
Premium Member
11,760 Posts
All it really takes is one wrong downshift.

·
Cunning Linguist
12,363 Posts
Yeah, I guess so.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I took my car in for an alignment at FV Tire Pros (SC Mistu recommendation) and the tech takes my car for a joyride as well. I check memory recall on my gauges and everything was maxed out. Freakin pissed, told the owner and he said he would, "talk to the guy." After that I do all the work myself. Can't trust anyone to touch your car, they just don't give a chit.
I live down the street from them and had my alignment done there. Interesting to know!

·
Premium Member
11,760 Posts
yea, one wrong downshift and you'll risk be bending a valve.

they never test drive my car after the install new tires.
I've had a shop send me my way with finger-loose lugs and suspension bolts. And this was an Evo specialty shop. :duh: A good shop that knows its head from its ass will always be diligent with work and test their work before delivering the car to the customer.

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
After they do the balance/alignment they usually test drive it to make sure everything checks out. The tech at the dealership even did it when I brought mine to get aligned there.

1.7 miles might be a lot, but if this place is on a highway that might be the shortest distance the guy can go to turn around and come back.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Prior to dropping my car off at the dealership for an alignment, I had topped off my gas tank. When I picked up the car it had a 3/4 tank. ******* probably drove it quick even though I had mentioned to the dealer I hope no one beats the shit out of my car. Goes to show you can't trust anyone

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
7,714 Posts
I'll never let anyone valet or work on my car. Even for something as simple as a tire rotation or oil change. Only exception being reputable shops like Kaizen.

·
Registered
509 Posts
If you're anal about something happening to your car, you can either schedule a time where you're able to wait in the lobby or take the wheels off the car and bring them to the tire shop. I've done both.

·
[Local Team Member], aka JDAVID-EVO X
16,650 Posts
I'll never let anyone valet or work on my car. Even for something as simple as a tire rotation or oil change. Only exception being reputable shops like Kaizen or Demon X.
:neener:
:+1:

This is why i do all the work on her.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts