Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did so searching on the forums not really finding what i want to know about the WGA, did enjoy reading post bashing this guy for getting tune then installing his wga..anyway im going to be running stock turbo for while ans was at toss up on the WGA. really want to understand the ratio of the spring rate / the Boost your going to be running, meaning 25+psi need an wga spring 25 psi. im planning to run 24-26 psi on stock turbo/ 93oct with full bolt on's w/ out any fuel mods i was thinking i would be better running a spring that will open 19-20psi just to be on the safe side.

wanted to know what spring rate would work best with my setup.

believe forge has 19-24psi
FP has an 18psi or 25 psi
or should i just adjust the stock wga believe can mod it to hold 17psi

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
not even sure it worth messing with the wga spring on the stock turbo. The stock turbo becomes really inefficient at higher boost levels (~25+) and just cannot flow enough up top. I'm currently tuned for 24psi and haven't done anything to the wga. I think your better off waiting until upgrading the turbo although I am interested in hearing what others know about this subject.

edit: I really don't think its worth it at this point especially since the fuel system is still stock.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
I am running ~27psi with an unmodified wastegate. You can push it harder but at redline you are just going to be pushing hot air. Better off just up-shifting anyhow, the HP drops pretty quick up there on the stock turbo.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyone with feed back that tracks their car? im look at the powerband it would be great to berunning 24-26 psi and only taper no less the 21-22 at top of the RPM's. still looking for input ...

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Speculation but I don't think very many would be running that high of boost at redline on a stock turbo and pump gas for very long.

·
Registered
11,115 Posts
You can't run that high at reline no matter what you do, trust me I have tried. The absolute most you can get is like 19 at 7600 and you can do that with the stock wga by pre loading it.

The turbo is physically too small to hold anymore. I ran 31-32 psi and it still dropped to 18psi at redline but I had cams too.

Don't waste money on a wga for the stock turbo, the stock one works fine.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can't run that high at reline no matter what you do, trust me I have tried. The absolute most you can get is like 19 at 7600 and you can do that with the stock wga by pre loading it.

The turbo is physically too small to hold anymore. I ran 31-32 psi and it still dropped to 18psi at redline but I had cams too.

Don't waste money on a wga for the stock turbo, the stock one works fine.
what about adjusting the stock WGA?

·
Registered
11,115 Posts
what about adjusting the stock WGA?
That's what I said to do, pre-load the stock one. You can tighten it down more to hold a bit more up top. Just don't do it too much otherwise you will boost spike bad which unless you run good gas ie E85/race gas isn't a good idea.

I wouldn't worry about trying to hold anything over 18psi, it won't really help anyways.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
good input thanks

·
Registered
685 Posts
After reading through am confused... why does FP offer a 18psi WGA and a 25psi for the same price? would it be better to go for the 25psi one...? for example i order a BBgreen for my x and i would obviously want to hold the boost more in the higher rpm so am i correct in thinking choose the 25psi wga..?

·
Registered
11,115 Posts
After reading through am confused... why does FP offer a 18psi WGA and a 25psi for the same price? would it be better to go for the 25psi one...? for example i order a BBgreen for my x and i would obviously want to hold the boost more in the higher rpm so am i correct in thinking choose the 25psi wga..?
Not necessarily no. It depends on your fuel type. Remember you lose the ability to control boost around the 25psi mark with a 25psi actuator.

So if your boost correction wanted to lower it below for some reason it couldn't. You don't want a 25psi one unless you are running e85/race gas imo.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Not necessarily no. It depends on your fuel type. Remember you lose the ability to control boost around the 25psi mark with a 25psi actuator.

So if your boost correction wanted to lower it below for some reason it couldn't. You don't want a 25psi one unless you are running e85/race gas imo.
Right... thanks then for 98ron which would be around 92.5 in states just stick with the 18psi WGA :)

·
Registered
11,115 Posts
Right... thanks then for 98ron which would be around 92.5 in states just stick with the 18psi WGA :)
I probably would yes. You can still hold 25psi+ with the 18psi one if you preload it.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
shouldnt the EBC and your too prevent boost creeps. meaning that the WGA would improve the powerband from 2500 to 7000rpm keeping your boost closer to your max boost level. 25 psi on the stock turbo is not pushing the limits right? the bbgreen spool close to the same as the stock turbo, not sure what psi he planning to run.

i think im not looking at the wga in the right aspect.

if your using a 25psi spring then that flange is not going to start open tell you reach 25 psi? but tappering at 5500 or high rpms?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts