Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I just purchased a 2102 Evo MR, service techs told me there is a laundry list of upgrades that i can't do because Mitsubishi doesn't "condone" racing, and an Evo should already be good enough. I already have a catback exhaust system waiting to put on because the tech said that if i put it on or have it put on that if the cat goes bad it will not be covered by warranty...but how can that be if it is behind the cat? Anybody know? Already had to trade out a k&n intake for an AEM dry-flow since they said it would void the MAF sensor if oil from the k&n got onto it. Anyway if anybody has an answer about the exhaust please let me know, i would like to have it put on as soon as possible. Thanks. And if anybody knows where i can get a rubber key fob cover/protector that would be great too, since i can't seem to find one ANYWHERE.

·
Registered
401 Posts
The dealer here in Portland said that anything in front of the MAF and after the CAT is okay. Meaning airfilter or catback exhaust won't void the warranty.

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
Okay, so I just purchased a 2102 Evo MR, service techs told me there is a laundry list of upgrades that i can't do because Mitsubishi doesn't "condone" racing, and an Evo should already be good enough. I already have a catback exhaust system waiting to put on because the tech said that if i put it on or have it put on that if the cat goes bad it will not be covered by warranty...but how can that be if it is behind the cat? Anybody know? Already had to trade out a k&n intake for an AEM dry-flow since they said it would void the MAF sensor if oil from the k&n got onto it. Anyway if anybody has an answer about the exhaust please let me know, i would like to have it put on as soon as possible. Thanks. And if anybody knows where i can get a rubber key fob cover/protector that would be great too, since i can't seem to find one ANYWHERE.
Ask your dealership. It's that simple. If your worried about losing your warranty, don't mod it.

Depends on you stealership. Mine voided mine for my testpipe...
Well test pipes are illegal anyway so I can see that.

·
[Team IEG VP]
10,145 Posts
Put the cat-back on. It's the easiest thing to instal (and also revert back to stock...) if you have a jack and jack stands. As far is it voiding the warranty on your cat... it's a catalityc converter, it's not going to fail and if it does it's cheap to replace. Finding someone willing to sell their OEM cat on here would probably not be very hard.

You can also do mods for now that aren't power related. Wider rims/tires, new coilovers. Any vanity items you're interested in.

·
Registered
982 Posts
A friend of mine had a torn cv joint boot and the dealership told him that they wouldn't warranty it because of his coilovers.

My stealership told me they wouldnt warranty any of my suspension parts because I'm dropped on eibachs.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
you are only allowed to fart in your seat, anything else and mitsubishi will void your warranty!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
My dealer didn't care what I put on my evo. Told me it wouldn't void warranty as long as I dealt with them. Should have recorded that conversation. haha.
That doesn't mean shit. Corporate offers warranty not the dealership and for big ticket repairs they send their own guy in to inspect the car. good luck crying to him " oh the dealer told me it was ok to have mods".....

·
[Team IEG VP]
10,145 Posts
Yeah, except if you get that as part of an agreement as purchase, then you can sue the dealership if they don't carry through. Independent of whatever corporate says.

I'm still curious if corporate ever inspected my car when dealership had to replace 2 hub/bearing assemblies because idiots at Max Madsen in Downers Grove over torqued the studs and stripped them in the bearing. Dealership (didn't from obviously) had to take it all apart as they couldn't get the wheels off.

Either way, didn't cost me a dime, but I'm pretty sure that was one big ticket repair bill.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
it depends on the dealership. the one near me is super strict with mods so I can't even put minor bolt-ons, yet the one that 3hrs away doesn't give a shit stain as long as u don't touch the engine/cams.
No you are wrong. It depends on the mitsu rep. Cause anything over 500 needs to be approved by them on warranty work. Come on People!!!!

·
Registered
293 Posts
I think I have one of the best stealership rejections...they said they could easily install bluetooth and volume controls but since it wasnt added when the car was sold new or offered on my 08 gsr, it would void my warranty!! im talking about the FACTORY BT and volume controls.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
No you are wrong. It depends on the mitsu rep. Cause anything over 500 needs to be approved by them on warranty work. Come on People!!!!
The other factor in what he said is more telling: the larger dealership has more sway with the area rep. A big dealership that brings in tons of service and sells a lot of cars is going to get approval more easily for the same warranty item than a small dealership. Ratios, percentages.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.