Votes: 23 30.7%
  • Handling on windy roads

Votes: 52 69.3%
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what's more important to you... acceleration in a straight line? or handling on a windy road?

I'm not talking about track racing vs drag racing, I'm talking about under normal driving conditions. Would you rather have a car that accelerate past almost anything else on the highway (or at a red light) or is it more important to you to be able to take the twists and turns at higher speeds with more control?

For me, thinking about my everyday driving, I think raw acceleration is more important to me. There are a lot of windy roads around here if I wanted to seek them out and push the car to the limits, but none I would hit in my usual commute.

Dan

·
Registered
73 Posts
I bought this car because of the handling.If I only wanted acceleration I would have bought something else (Mustang?)You can make a car go fast but making it handle like an EVO is really difficult if not impossible.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
My vote is for handling and turning over acceleration in a straight line, that's why the MINI Cooper S was such a fun car, fast enough, but really fun in the twisties! One of the fastest cars through the slalom.

I do agree with the other posters that have said the Evo X is good at both!

·
Registered
567 Posts
Handling all the way. Personally I never understood drag racing and thought all those fools were just crazy fat bastard cheep beer swizzling ******** hehe. I have to have mucho power though but HANDLING is why I sold my Subie and took the Evo Plunge...glad I did:rock:. I took the car up to Sierra's today and found a great road with a ton of tight turns and max elevation changes. Car just danced the whole way...unreal

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you're in the area try running the truck route from Mound House to Virginia City. They do a couple of events up there every year, one of which is mainly for Ferraris. Although for that one they still allow a few special exceptions. Last year my Dad did it in his Lotus Elise and said there was also an STI and a few 911s up there.

Those events, and the occasional snow storm, are then only reason why the Evos AWD is important to me. Other then that I'm all about taking off fast from a stop and zooming by people on the highway.

Dan

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Handling. nothings more enjoyable than hitting the corners perfectly, entry and exit. poetry.

·
Registered
328 Posts
SPEED! I love being able to blow the doors off of anyone that thinks they are the shit.(Sterotype: Lot's of Mustang owners fit this descrption.) Handling is definitley huge, but that raw power and speed is what really gets my pistons pumping.:thumbup:

·
Registered
156 Posts
^^^^^

:+1:I can agree with the above. As for everyday driving and my voting; I went with handling. This is where the Evo really pushes the limits. Since I do like to drive fast on occassion, I need a vehicle that I can feel through the turns with percision.

Now that I answered your question, I do have to say NOTHING feels like the raw power of accleration. My 1G Eclipse FWD Turbo is a monster; faster (yes, because it is modded, of course) than the EVO stock. I LOVE the raw power and blowing the doors off all my friends 5.0's. However, it struggles with traction and certainly won't handle like the EVO. With that being said, I'd honestly take the keys to the EVO any day of the week; even rainy days! :rock:It's like the perfect fighter who is good at both on the ground and on his/her feet. Did I mention that I get off on killing Mustang's??? :p

·
[Team IEG VP]
10,071 Posts
HAHA, I do love the fact that my car is faster then every mustang. Especially when you see those tools who thing there car is the shit, and I pull up knowing fully well that i can destroy them in every aspect.

But I vote acceleration just purelly simply for the fact that he asks whats more important for daily driving. However, i bought the car for the handling and for the reasons that everyone esle has written. A few after market mods and this car is a beast, but you can't aftermarket mod any other car to handle as well as this baby does. And I love the way she handles.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Going from a GTO to the Evo was kind of hard. I really do miss how well I could pull on the freeway or from stoplight to stoplight, but now corners that I used to take at 45, I can now take at 50+.
I'd prefer being able to accelerate more then turning, but I wanted something that would equal my previous fat car and I'd be willing to sacrifice a little straightline and that's what I did. It's just unfortunate that this car is fat too... :(

Did I mention that I get off on killing Mustang's??? :p
I love my Chevy's so Stangs are always a fun kill, but now I get to destroy them with "rice" as some mustang owners would call it!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.