Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having a strange/severe vibration problem in 5th gear. I'm getting better at re creating the "problem" but im unsure what is going on. when im in 5th gear (highway) at 4,000RPMs and I give it almost half throttle I feel the car "pull" back? and I get serious vibration through out the car, I feel it in my feet, steering wheel... every where, my friend riding with me was like WTF was that?

I have been running the same tune for about a year now, I installed my AMS FMIC about 6 months ago, and i have not been retuned since then, I have had the same driving style since my tune, I have been at that speed and in that gear many of times... so this is something new. Its gotten colder here... maybe over boost? Im kinda open to anything right now, help me out guys.

·
Registered
934 Posts
BOV flutter? Take a log and show rpms, boost and the other normals.

Usually BOV flutter happens when you slightly let off the gas.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
uhm.. this isnt happening when im letting off.. this vibration is occuring throughout my car while im in boost.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
stock

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought maybe turbo failure? im doing the rest of my 30K service tmrw, I could check for shaft play and post back tmrw.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I THINK you might be right, not sure yet. I do need a retune. but.. like I said i have been in that gear/speed/throttle postion many of time. at 80MPH half throttle 5th shouldnt be a problem since I took 4th gear to about 5K then went to fifth.

Its also been colder.. so its making more boost which makes me think your right.. but why now? why not all year? this IS NOT the first cold season with this tune/set up, i guess only a retune will tell?

·
[E-Tuner]
15,861 Posts
I THINK you might be right, not sure yet. I do need a retune. but.. like I said i have been in that gear/speed/throttle postion many of time. at 80MPH half throttle 5th shouldnt be a problem since I took 4th gear to about 5K then went to fifth.

Its also been colder.. so its making more boost which makes me think your right.. but why now? why not all year? this IS NOT the first cold season with this tune/set up, i guess only a retune will tell?
Colder air is denser air. The turbo is pushing more air at the same psi as before since its cold, and the engine at that RPM can't ingest that much air, so that excess air gets pushed back into the turbo, stopping the turbo (power decreases rapidly) then the turbine spins back up from the compressor housing not pressurized at all, and the turbo flows air again. Then it goes through this cycle on and on.

It can damage the turbo. Imagine something going from 100,000 rpm to 50,000 rpm in the opposite direction.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lets stay on topic Evo Time, no offense.

I think I have bigger problems guys. I wanna clear something up first. Today I started my 30K service. Currently I have 30,400 miles, I did a full coolant flush and an oil change today. I was gonna finish up the rest of the 30K service tmrw, now this came up..

My car threw a CEL. Cyl 3 MISFIRE, and another code related to over speed compensation??? I took off my air filter, turned out it was still wet from when I cleaned it, so I let it air dry I cleared all the codes put fresh gas in (shell v POWAH) drove for 20 miles BAM, the CEL came on AGAIN. hooked up my AP.. sure as shit cyl 3 mis fire... im doing my plugs tmrw... my car idles like shit... its fluctucting as if I didnt replace my fuel pump relay (I have) which leads me to belive... yea cyl 3 is mis firing... part of the 30k service is plugs (which im doing tmrw)

so with this NEW information, any more suggestions!?

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Geeearrr heads! where u at?

·
[Local Team Member], aka pimplay2
7,791 Posts
so car started acting up than you changed fpr?
or
you changed fpr than it started acting up?

did you get tuned AFTER you changed the relays?

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I replaced my relays when I purchased the car brand new.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
TTT

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
small update, no more check engine lights. I cleaned my MAF and no more codes have been thrown. But my idle isnt healthy. It feels like it wants to stall out at red lights. anyone?

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Have not replaced the plugs yet. its Sunday and all i can find is off brand garbage. injectors I have not checked either.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts