Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If i press the ASC button, a dash-light illuminates telling me the TC is off, but when im on track i can feel the traction control is still on.

when you hold down the ASC button for a few seconds it goes "PING" then the warning sign changes from red to yellow.

someone told me this means everything is off TC,AYC, and even ABS.

can anyone shed some light on this for me please?

cheers.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
how do you feel its still on?

AFAIK there are 2 main methods of traction control:

1) torque request, ie throttle cut - this is disabled with the simple push once method
2) brake method, ie applying brakes to the slipping drive wheel - this is disabled with the hold button method

ABS is always on

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how do you feel its still on?

AFAIK there are 2 main methods of traction control:

1) torque request, ie throttle cut - this is disabled with the simple push once method
2) brake method, ie applying brakes to the slipping drive wheel - this is disabled with the hold button method

ABS is always on
the first one No# 1

I know what traction control feels like when it comes on, and i can feel it cuts the throttle and theres momenterally no power for a split second.

But my question was what is turning off when i hold the button in for over 3 seconds?

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry Tephra just re-read your post.

So what your saying is... its still sort of on, on the hold down setting, just not on as much?

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
no the throttle cut should definitley be removed..

if you still think its happening, log APP (Accelerator Pedal) and TPS..

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
fully understood now after watching this...

·
Cunning Linguist
12,363 Posts
It's never got me in trouble on the street. If anything it allows me to predict the car's movements better.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's never got me in trouble on the street. If anything it allows me to predict the car's movements better.
i always turn it off!! cos i hate it when i wanna drift the rear slighty and the fucka cuts the throttle!!!! it must make me look like a dick!!

·
Cunning Linguist
12,363 Posts
No, looking like a dick is all on the driver. SAWC has little to do with it.

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
see im glad they have that option to turn it fully off (told it down for 3secs) on my 370z u could turn the vdc off by pressing the button but it still remained on by 25%...made it a bitch for racing on the track and driving in the winter. Everytime i try to start moving during the winter it would cut all my power and would almost cause me to stall...coming around turns was a pain, i can predict how my car is going to come around the turn but once VDC takes over it screws me up, even with the button off...i had to disconnect the harness to fully kill it.

But with the Evo i like how I have the choice if i want to turn it off and still have some systems on, or turn everything off.

I havent tried this but will it give you any more power by turning the full system off. Once again, going back to my 370z. Once i unpluged the system it gave me alot of low end power back that the system was using on or off (25% still remained on)

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
You won't get any "robbed power" back by turning it off. If you're not in a condition for it to cut power, it won't rob power. This is probably a whole lot more fancy and technical than the 370Z's version. I had a similar setup on my AWD FX35 and that was nowhere near as complicated as the stability control of the X.

As for the power cut, it feels like dog shit if you leave it on when on the track. You come into a corner a little hot but know what you're doing and know how to correct for it and the computer is thinking "HOLD ON, GUY, I GOT THIS" and you're thinking "OH NO YOU DIH'N'T!!!" and there it goes, giving you the feeling of TREMENDOUS lag coming out of a corner. Then it turns off, boost spikes and you're back to hauling ass.

Long story short, in summary, Cliff's Notes: turn it half off or full off when on a road course. Auto-X full off no matter whuuut.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You won't get any "robbed power" back by turning it off. If you're not in a condition for it to cut power, it won't rob power. This is probably a whole lot more fancy and technical than the 370Z's version. I had a similar setup on my AWD FX35 and that was nowhere near as complicated as the stability control of the X.

As for the power cut, it feels like dog shit if you leave it on when on the track. You come into a corner a little hot but know what you're doing and know how to correct for it and the computer is thinking "HOLD ON, GUY, I GOT THIS" and you're thinking "OH NO YOU DIH'N'T!!!" and there it goes, giving you the feeling of TREMENDOUS lag coming out of a corner. Then it turns off, boost spikes and you're back to hauling ass.

Long story short, in summary, Cliff's Notes: turn it half off or full off when on a road course. Auto-X full off no matter whuuut.
:+1:

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
yea pretty much what happend in the 370z during the winter. I know my ass end will kinda swing out but i have it 100% under control, but soon as the system kicks in and takes over it sends me all over the place. Never had the issue on the track because by that time i disconnected the system and in the process got quite abit low end power back...even under normal driving conditions.

But i love the system in the Evo, on or off.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yea pretty much what happend in the 370z during the winter. I know my ass end will kinda swing out but i have it 100% under control, but soon as the system kicks in and takes over it sends me all over the place. Never had the issue on the track because by that time i disconnected the system and in the process got quite abit low end power back...even under normal driving conditions.

But i love the system in the Evo, on or off.
dude ive driven a 370z in Germany in the winter and to be honest they should be banned. Great car, great looks, but that back end??? WOW!!! traction control made the car worse in the cold conditions. Its not inteligent enough.

Maybe its alright sometimes?? rain, loss of traction in corners etc... but in the winter where you need to use your eyes more.... its shit.

My evo equiped with my german winter tires in the snow is unstoppable.

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
i wouldnt say they should be banned but defently the VDC system has to be removed or has to stay off. Once i figured out how to kill the system i had no issues at all. Never lost control once, never got stuck...nothing. I cant wait to see what my evo is like in the winter but I wont be finding out this winter because ill be in afghanistan..lol.

Also the 370z did really well when it was -59*C in 2010....after i let it sit and warm up for 20mins. I was the only car in my parking lot and at work that would start with no problems...although the car sounded like a tank until it warmed up.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts