Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
figure I would see what others have found work. I have tested a ton of things and broken even more I guess. I just started to ponder making the car a bit closer to a sm build recently like the last month or 2 even tho I have been running the class for a while. locally we do not have any proper built sm or ssm cars so I have just jumped between running sm, ssm and some emod. Finally I am mostly happy with my engine setup and will find out how I like my new diff this weekend. suspension wise will be strange to work out tho. what type of spring rates have people been finding to work well with hoosiers? Locally the lot we have this year is very rough and loose. it is debatable if slicks are even faster at some of the events.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Still in BS but I've got some parts that I'm yet to install that will put me in STU. Not likely to down size on tires so that will knock me into ASP. I'm pretty sure I want a tune with an EBC which will put me in SM.... So looks like I'll be there soon. I was initially thinking to prep my car for a particular class but it seems like its always a compromise. I really want to enjoy my car so I've decided to build my car the way I want it and just race whatever class I fall in.

·
Registered
148 Posts
figure I would see what others have found work. I have tested a ton of things and broken even more I guess. I just started to ponder making the car a bit closer to a sm build recently like the last month or 2 even tho I have been running the class for a while. locally we do not have any proper built sm or ssm cars so I have just jumped between running sm, ssm and some emod. Finally I am mostly happy with my engine setup and will find out how I like my new diff this weekend. suspension wise will be strange to work out tho. what type of spring rates have people been finding to work well with hoosiers? Locally the lot we have this year is very rough and loose. it is debatable if slicks are even faster at some of the events.
FWIW, I run 750/700 springs with 315-30-18. May be going a little higher on spring rates. My local course is slower than a National course.

How do you like the diff upgrade?

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am still not sure how I like the carbonetics rear diff compared to the cusco. the event that I had right after that post I broke down backing out of the driveway (compressor jumped off). then the event last weekend had a huge left hand circle followed by a medium left followed by a hard left. I went with right under half a tank so I was out of fuel 3/4 the way through the loop and for the next 11 seconds following. oh well Saturday and sunday in theory I will be testing out the new rear diff, cf driveshaft, cheap wing and splitter. I will post feedback afterward. really I will be mixing mine and the codrivers feedback. I have been very slow this year so hopefully he can kick some but in my car. oh for spring rates the plan was to run 900f 1000 or 1100 rear this weekend but running out of time so it looks like it will be a square 900 setup on 315 a7s

·
Registered
257 Posts
My first autocross last month and they put in sm class. Guy asked about my car and told him it was tuned and he said, oh you're sm. lol
I went to have fun and I did, not as much as open track but it's better than nothing.
Finished 11th out of 25 in my category so I think it's not bad right?

·
Registered
148 Posts
I am still not sure how I like the carbonetics rear diff compared to the cusco. the event that I had right after that post I broke down backing out of the driveway (compressor jumped off). then the event last weekend had a huge left hand circle followed by a medium left followed by a hard left. I went with right under half a tank so I was out of fuel 3/4 the way through the loop and for the next 11 seconds following. oh well Saturday and sunday in theory I will be testing out the new rear diff, cf driveshaft, cheap wing and splitter. I will post feedback afterward. really I will be mixing mine and the codrivers feedback. I have been very slow this year so hopefully he can kick some but in my car. oh for spring rates the plan was to run 900f 1000 or 1100 rear this weekend but running out of time so it looks like it will be a square 900 setup on 315 a7s
Thanks for the info. Please update your impressions on the diff. I'm planning to install a surge tank soon (have the Radium) to hopefully avoid the fuel cut issues.

·
Registered
148 Posts
My first autocross last month and they put in sm class. Guy asked about my car and told him it was tuned and he said, oh you're sm. lol
I went to have fun and I did, not as much as open track but it's better than nothing.
Finished 11th out of 25 in my category so I think it's not bad right?

As long as you had fun, that's all that matters. Takes some seat time to get confortable with AutoXing. Modding to SM rules can get real price.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
from the 1 event I did get to run the car did really well. I think I liked the cusco rear diff a little more but for the price difference I will take it. The diff did work a lot better then my weir diff plate conversion along with if you want less lock up it is very easy to just add a bit of slip additive between runs. the noise from the rear diff is much quitter and very easy to forget that it is not stock under normal driving conditions.
The arp front splitter mounting and layout seems more for show then go so I had to mount it forward a few inches for it to work the way I felt it should and will be coming up with a better setup this winter. wing wise I cheaped out and went with battle aero. It did it job well and on a budget I would recommend it but you have to brace it with cables and the mounting leaves room for improvement but I will try to work with them on that this winter. prior to the changes I was lifting my inside wheels a little in the front and about 4inches in the rear. the only change for the last event was changing to 150lb stiffer springs which should have made issue worse but with the added aero at most maybe 1/2 in of lift in the rear.
Driving wise I am not a very competitive driver since I normally go just for fun or testing stuff so codrivers have to do the work to make up for my slacking and this was cody's 1st time driving my car much less a awd car. I also did no added weight reduction for this event so it was full interior back seat, headrest and so on. Below is the top results from that event

1m 1 km 03 Larry MacLeod 2014 Honda Tonykart 33.848 0.000 0.000
2m 2 km 103 Jackson Macleod 2014 Honda Tonykart 34.572 0.724 0.724
3m 3 km 7 Tim Routh 2008 Haase Kart 34.576 0.004 0.728
4m 1 sm 112 Cody Mason 2008 Mitsubishi Evo 37.467 2.891 3.619
5m 1 em 139 Dave Whitworth 2012 Ford Mustang 37.545 0.078 3.697
6m 1 cm 83 Ray Thomas 1983 Reynard Formula Ford 37.821 0.276 3.973
7m 1 cp 156 Scott Lewis 1997 Chevrolet Camaro 37.882 0.061 4.034
8m 1 csp 173 Joey Gumer 2003 Mazda clubsport miata 38.114 0.232 4.266
9m 2 cp 56 Mike Fellmer 1997 Chevrolet Camaro 38.189 0.075 4.341
10m 2 csp 73 Scott Kimball 2003 Mazda Miata 38.475 0.286 4.627
11m 2 em 39 Sean Greer Ford Mustang 38.696 0.221 4.848

·
Registered
168 Posts
from the 1 event I did get to run the car did really well. I think I liked the cusco rear diff a little more but for the price difference I will take it. The diff did work a lot better then my weir diff plate conversion along with if you want less lock up it is very easy to just add a bit of slip additive between runs. the noise from the rear diff is much quitter and very easy to forget that it is not stock under normal driving conditions.
The arp front splitter mounting and layout seems more for show then go so I had to mount it forward a few inches for it to work the way I felt it should and will be coming up with a better setup this winter. wing wise I cheaped out and went with battle aero. It did it job well and on a budget I would recommend it but you have to brace it with cables and the mounting leaves room for improvement but I will try to work with them on that this winter. prior to the changes I was lifting my inside wheels a little in the front and about 4inches in the rear. the only change for the last event was changing to 150lb stiffer springs which should have made issue worse but with the added aero at most maybe 1/2 in of lift in the rear.
Driving wise I am not a very competitive driver since I normally go just for fun or testing stuff so codrivers have to do the work to make up for my slacking and this was cody's 1st time driving my car much less a awd car. I also did no added weight reduction for this event so it was full interior back seat, headrest and so on. Below is the top results from that event

1m 1 km 03 Larry MacLeod 2014 Honda Tonykart 33.848 0.000 0.000
2m 2 km 103 Jackson Macleod 2014 Honda Tonykart 34.572 0.724 0.724
3m 3 km 7 Tim Routh 2008 Haase Kart 34.576 0.004 0.728
4m 1 sm 112 Cody Mason 2008 Mitsubishi Evo 37.467 2.891 3.619
5m 1 em 139 Dave Whitworth 2012 Ford Mustang 37.545 0.078 3.697
6m 1 cm 83 Ray Thomas 1983 Reynard Formula Ford 37.821 0.276 3.973
7m 1 cp 156 Scott Lewis 1997 Chevrolet Camaro 37.882 0.061 4.034
8m 1 csp 173 Joey Gumer 2003 Mazda clubsport miata 38.114 0.232 4.266
9m 2 cp 56 Mike Fellmer 1997 Chevrolet Camaro 38.189 0.075 4.341
10m 2 csp 73 Scott Kimball 2003 Mazda Miata 38.475 0.286 4.627
11m 2 em 39 Sean Greer Ford Mustang 38.696 0.221 4.848
Uhhh....seems like your car is working out pretty well. Cody finished in 1st!!! The top 3 are go karts and you can't compare go karts to real cars.

·
Registered
130 Posts
This year will be my first year. I will be running in West Ohio, Indy, and Columbus regions in SCCA. I believe I will be in SMS. As my RE71R form what I am told meet the requirements.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
This will be my 1st year as well. Can y'all help me decide what class? I'm not looking to get seriously competitive, just having fun. Mods are:
Mhi
Turbo back
Intake
3port/tune around 450hp on e-85
Eibach springs
9.75 wheels with 265 35 tires

·
Registered
293 Posts
This will be my 1st year as well. Can y'all help me decide what class? I'm not looking to get seriously competitive, just having fun. Mods are:
Mhi
Turbo back
Intake
3port/tune around 450hp on e-85
Eibach springs
9.75 wheels with 265 35 tires
With the E85 and 3 Port im pretty sure that puts you in SM

1 - 15 of 15 Posts