Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for thsoe who don't know what Waze is, you should check it out. It's an App on your phone that provides realtime updates on driving conditions from traffic, work zones, speed traps, and alternative routes you might want to take.

So I've been using Waze for a couple of weeks now, and I'm honestly surprised at how well this app really works. You'd be surprised at how many people use this app and relay information. It's really nice on a highway driving situation as well.

I'd suggest everyone check this thing out!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I use Waze every day, even if I dont need directions. Have for years I feel like. Its a great supplement to a radar because it points out police speed traps.

I recommend it to everyone I know.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have beenusing it for a while now!. I recommend it. If your in New England keep an eye out for the Speedy icon with JukEboX [NELO] on it. ThaTS ME :p

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've always used Google Map's, i've seen the app plenty of times just never thought about downloading it. Is it really that good?
I'm the same way. I used to use Google Maps religiously. Now I drive every single day with Waze open, even if I don't need directions. There are tons of poeple who use it, and it's like you're connected with all of them, giving and receiving advice on speed traps, traffic, et cetera.

I would recommend using Waze whenever you drive, especially if you are using your phone for directions anyway.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm the same way. I used to use Google Maps religiously. Now I drive every single day with Waze open, even if I don't need directions. There are tons of poeple who use it, and it's like you're connected with all of them, giving and receiving advice on speed traps, traffic, et cetera.

I would recommend using Waze whenever you drive, especially if you are using your phone for directions anyway.
The key is just drive with it open. It share the traffic data with everyone so the more people participate the more data it gets. I live in a smaller city and even here I get speed trap notices, traffic jam notices, ave speed of people on roads, etc. Its great!

If you live in a bigger city with more people using it then I just imagine its even better and even more accurate.

·
Premium Member
11,756 Posts
The key is just drive with it open. It share the traffic data with everyone so the more people participate the more data it gets. I live in a smaller city and even here I get speed trap notices, traffic jam notices, ave speed of people on roads, etc. Its great!

If you live in a bigger city with more people using it then I just imagine its even better and even more accurate.
That's odd. I thought Waze (and other traffic programs) got its regular traffic congestion information from cell phone operators and not the actual user running the app. Someone correct me if I am wrong. Waze is a huge battery hog. I'd hate to run it all the time when driving.

·
Registered
110 Posts
That's odd. I thought Waze (and other traffic programs) got its regular traffic congestion information from cell phone operators and not the actual user running the app. Someone correct me if I am wrong. Waze is a huge battery hog. I'd hate to run it all the time when driving.
Well I am in the habit of always plugging in my phone when im driving. I have an S5 and its a bit of a battery hog by itself. So that doesn't bother me. Besides if you used any gps all the time it will rape your battery, and there is no point. There is a point to using this all the time for the live reports.

As far as the traffic data, I am sure it supplements user inputted data with cell phone providers data. You can report traffic jams, it tells you the ave speed of other users on that road, and also has markers warning of slow areas. So If its coming from users alone that's one thing, but it would make sense for it to utilize all avenues of data collection for the most accuracy.

Also Waze has the most accurate maps available for cell phone gps, because its user edited. I myself have gone in and edited the maps to include the main entrance of my work. It also verifies this data when users actually use the road. So you cant really troll it.

Now I don't work for google or waze or anything, I just think its a powerful app that if your not using your missing out.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
From what I've read, it's not only user data that is the base for the program. It also uses regular data such as Google Maps would use, but this one can pull information off of Twitter, Facebook, and other multimedia websites for traffic accuracy, et cetera.

Say someone posts a roadblock notice on twitter and gives a location, Waze then inputs that into the application as a possible road hazard, et cetera. That's my understanding at least, and that's why it's the most accurate GPS and multimedia driving application out.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Hmm.... I have had this app on my phone for the longest time and never use it. Looks like I may have been missing out. I'll download it on my tablet as well and start using it more often.

EDIT: I can't imagine this being better than Google Maps?? Really?

·
Administrator
3,359 Posts
Hmm.... I have had this app on my phone for the longest time and never use it. Looks like I may have been missing out. I'll download it on my tablet as well and start using it more often.

EDIT: I can't imagine this being better than Google Maps?? Really?
Yes, it is.

I <3 it for rerouting me around live traffic updates.

·
Premium Member
11,756 Posts
Yeah, I understand the traffic reports and such by keeping it running while driving. What I meant was just the rel-time traffic congestion is not based on running the app, its from the cell phone providers.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.