Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was searching around before to prove to a buddy at work that an AWD car with 320whp (like myself) has roughly 400 crank horsepower. I know most of us know to just add 20% to your whp to get your crank hp but this is a nice little tool. I searched on here for something like it, but couldnt find anything. So I figured it would be good to have on this forum.

http://www.mk5cortinaestate.co.uk/calculator4.php

· Registered
499 Posts
Assuming a stock Evo makes 291 crank HP, wouldn't it be easier to calculate the actual loss from the dyno session and then go from there?

Different dyno, load, etc. Although I did not read the link, I don't think you can assume 20% across the board.

· Registered
823 Posts
Assuming a stock Evo makes 291 crank HP
That's another problem with horsepower numbers, you have to ASSUME that all vehicles come off the line with the same power, and THAT's not even true.

Realistically, the best measure of two vehicles (power, at least) is to time them 0-60 or 1/4 mile (or whatever other speed test you prefer) back to back at the same location, driven, ideally, by the same driver.

· Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its def not the most accurate tool there is. Like Dino said, the only "true" way to measure crank hp is with an engine break. I just thought it was a pretty quick and nifty tool... having FWD, RWD, AWD, MT, AT all as options. Plus it is pretty accurate, considering....

· Registered
812 Posts
It's an enteresting link. The RWD seems to be fairly accurate from numbers I've seen but not sure about the accuracy of the AWD, FWD. The 20% thumb rule really is the biggest miss conception about converting HP from crank to wheel or vice versa. In order for it to be useable manufacturers would have to use the same materials, components, and design for there drive train. It's like saying the drive train loss for a GTR is the same as a MX5.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts