Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings everyone. I don’t know if it’s been said here before, I’ve searched here and there once in a while but never found any answers and the techs at Mitsubishi obviously don’t know it. Why does the car have to be fully stopped or from what I hear, rolling below 10km/h to be able to go into s sport. Even now with the new tcu mod that’s available, where we can do it while driving and add more pressure on the clutches and more. since it’s not possible from factory, I would like a decent answer to know if it’s ok to go ahead with that mod and if it’s safe to add that extra pressure aswell on stock clutches even though I’m running more power.

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2009 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
41 Posts
I believe it was a safety feature, because sport and s sport shift points are at such high rpms, it didn't want you switching to s sport mode at 60 and having it downshift to redline. So to combat that you have to be traveling at like 5mph or less.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Greetings everyone. I don’t know if it’s been said here before, I’ve searched here and there once in a while but never found any answers and the techs at Mitsubishi obviously don’t know it. Why does the car have to be fully stopped or from what I hear, rolling below 10km/h to be able to go into s sport. Even now with the new tcu mod that’s available, where we can do it while driving and add more pressure on the clutches and more. since it’s not possible from factory, I would like a decent answer to know if it’s ok to go ahead with that mod and if it’s safe to add that extra pressure aswell on stock clutches even though I’m running more power.

thanks in advance.
Pretty simple answer. S-Sport revs engine out to 6k+.

So say you're cruising at a nice 2k-3k quietly on the highway, you switch to S-Sport, your car downshifts to lowest gear to reach ~6500rpm. Car goes VROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMM all of a sudden. Yeah not exactly User friendly

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yeah 7% extra clutch pressure is safe for street use and is a perfect match for fairly nominal power increases. Stay away from 10% and 15% (those extra pressures are only safe for track and drag). With the SST mod you can run extra clutch pressures: 7,8,9,10,11,12, or 15% extra clutch pressure. 7 percent is safe to run, effectively like making normal mode shift crispy like s-sport does. with the shift modes v2 option the s-sport shifts are the closer as are normal and sport, so now when you flick between normal. sport and ssport whilst driving with the new mod, you don't get the gasping rpm increase, its pretty much the same switching between modes and the car is very happy and safe.

EvoX / Ralliart 6DCT470 SST TCU Mod Rom v2

p.s. running extra power than factory is fairly safe, even though the factory does not want you to. Same with the SST, running 7% extra clutch pressure and ssport mode whilst driving is actually safe, and I love it! its the best mod to my Car this entire year. And all the amazing feedback I have had far exceeded my expectations by miles.

-Hamish.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have mine on the 7 % extra pressure but prefer the ver. where the SS setting is like original as I don’t like it for track in auto, as it would not keep the max revs and shit very low , but I can change the trans settings from normal to sport or super sport at any speed , it can be that I have been doing it in manual, will try it later on auto .

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
While it is true the (factory set) shift points would cause sudden downshifting, considering Hamish and co have TPS-based shift points/adjustments, it seems a little odd to me why S and SS were restricted in the way they were.

If I were to hazard a guess...DCT implementation was rushed. Maybe Getrag engineers recommended to Mitsu, etc. We'll probably never know. But I do know (and Hamish has probably delved into this more than I have) that the A-revision TCU ROMs didn't even have teach-in capabilities available. I was one of the first in Canada to get an Evo X (which I still have!) and it seems a bunch of the early SST X's had more than their fair share of issues--although in my case, that could also have been from all tweaking/testing done early on as tables were still trying to be decoded.

As for subsequent years SST's, they probably just didn't bother to change anything, or at least, made minimal changes as Mitsu themselves learned more about the platform. IIRC, Mitsu actually wanted Evo's with busted SST, brought back (i.e. transmission removed/sent back by dealer). I guess it is/was like the small revisions to the ECU ROM's they made year to year.

All this to say, they probably could have changed it in later model years, but just didn't bother. It certainly isn't as again, Hamish and co's work proves, a technical issue/limitation.

Thenks
verkion

Yeah 7% extra clutch pressure is safe for street use and is a perfect match for fairly nominal power increases. Stay away from 10% and 15% (those extra pressures are only safe for track and drag). With the SST mod you can run extra clutch pressures: 7,8,9,10,11,12, or 15% extra clutch pressure. 7 percent is safe to run, effectively like making normal mode shift crispy like s-sport does. with the shift modes v2 option the s-sport shifts are the closer as are normal and sport, so now when you flick between normal. sport and ssport whilst driving with the new mod, you don't get the gasping rpm increase, its pretty much the same switching between modes and the car is very happy and safe.

EvoX / Ralliart 6DCT470 SST TCU Mod Rom v2

p.s. running extra power than factory is fairly safe, even though the factory does not want you to. Same with the SST, running 7% extra clutch pressure and ssport mode whilst driving is actually safe, and I love it! its the best mod to my Car this entire year. And all the amazing feedback I have had far exceeded my expectations by miles.

-Hamish.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts