Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Works Short Shift Review and Install Pics

Just installed this kit today. It was about a 1 hour install...quite simple. 4 screws and 2 10 mm bolts in the rear + 2 plugs and the whole console comes right out. Pound the 2 pins out and slip the new shifter in and the pins + washers. done.

It def' shortens the throw alot. The shift pattern is much more compact and tight. Although it takes a bit more effort (you have less leverage) shifts are now much qucker and more precise. I now feel I have more control over the car. If it wasnt for the notchy 'box it would be close to perfect
Props for Works for getting this to me in a quick 2 days with regular shipping

1> Pull/Pry the middle section of the console off

2>Unscrew the 2 philips holding the shifter boot section on...and Pulll your knob + disconnect the cigarette lighter

3>Zip off the 2 10mm inside the stash box section of the console

4>Unsrcrew the 2 philips holding the front section of the console

5> Pull the entire console off

6>Grind off the 2 washers holding the these 2 pins..tap out the pins with a punch. A Dremel helped me make it easy. Works kit comes with 2 new washers

7>Pop off this clip to allow the shifter to be removed

8>Pop this spring off and pull the shifter out (The whole shifter comes right out along with the top plastic guide)...install the new shifter and repeat all the steps in reverse. Make sure to grease the pivot cup with some quality grease.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
2nd to 3rd is now much better. I spent a couple of hours today doing some laps around the hills here and I was impressed the most with 2nd to 3rd shifts. It's tight and exact. 4th to 5th is a bit trickier though. I was rushing it at first and hit 3rd by mistake a couple of times but eventually with a bit more finesse that was a snap. I'm thinking a heavier knob might be the ticket

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Done with lunch pics up (I eat a late lunch lol). Actually I just spent the entire afternoon tearing the whole interior apart installing sound damping for my upcoming stereo

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
$150 or so + tax. Yes straight forward. It took me an hour the first time. After I tore it apart during the sound damping project it was more like 15 minutes to get it apart. It would have been another 15 or 20 to get it together. The only part that's hard at all is the grinding of the washers. You have to be careful not to gouge the plastic.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Doh..ok after lunch pic coming. All I have is the final pic with the knob, I took the pics after I installed the whole deal. For the record it's about an inch shorter. I think that's about right...any shorter and they would be a leverage issue

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pic of the new shifter...obviously stubbier. There is a small 'collar' that comes with the kit just below the knob. You will need a super small allen key wrench for that one. Not sure of the size...so small I can't read the small print on the wrench. It's less than 1/8". If I had to guess I'd say 2.5 mm?>

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was thiinking the same thing but after driving it 400 miles with the new shifter I like it as is. Any shorter and I wouldn't have enuf' leverage for the notchy 2nd to 3rd shift'.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
neutral and yes its relatively easy. Tough part is not chewing up the plastic shifter cage frame with the dremel.

The more I drive the more I feel a heavier knob could help. 2nd to 3rd is a bit of an effort. 4th to 5th is a snap though...real smooth and quick

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.