Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How about the Evo specifically?

I have a local dealer trying to close me on a leftover 2011 and everything is lining up except the color is my third choice, not my first or second. And it's one that will be much harder to keep clean than my first two preferred colors.

It's also the only one available around my area with these specific packages, so it's this or nothing (i.e., something else like a Hyundai Genesis Coupe in a color I do like, but always wondering if I should have gotten the Evo, the car I've wanted since they first hit the US in 2003, even though the color wasn't my top choice.)

And aside from SoCal prices, it's about as good a deal as I can find (about $200 over invoice).

What say ye?

:thumbup:, :ghey:eek:r

·
Premium Member
7,334 Posts
Sounds like getting the best deal is your priority vs car color. Also go with the car you like most, as that is vastly more important than the color, IMO. I got stuck w/ a yellow car before my X (which was not the color I was after at all), due to price point. I got used to it (& even grew to like it), as I'm sure you will with whatever color they have available. That's my opinion anyways.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I was in that situation more than a year ago. I wanted a WW GSR; and Glendale Mitsubishi in SoCal only had MR's and SE's .... The only GSR they had on the lot was a Octane Blue in the showroom ...
The color was bright and flashy and I'm not the type to be THAT bright and flashy ...
Needless to say I drove that mothasucka off the lot and have grown to love the color ..
It wasnt my first choice, 2nd .. or even 3rd ... I actually wanted WW, PB, Red than Rotorglow ...
I disliked the blue because blue = STI in my eyes ...
I do not regret my color choice ... I love my car, I love the color, and on the inside its 110% EVO ... Do not succumb to a Hyunday Genesis!

DO ITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

In the other hand- get what you want - your going to be paying for it for the next couple of years LOL .... Dosnt help much eh? LOL Nah I still say do it! :) change is good! I noticed I started to buy more "BLUE" stuff to match my car hahaha .. I'm so vain :ghey:

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Don't let the dealer push you around. You're the customer.
Tell them that if they can't find you your first or second choice in color that you'll go somewhere else. Give them 2-3 days to locate one and you'll see how fast they'll be calling you back. Trust me.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, I appreciate the variety of feedback already!

KidneyThief: Sort of, but the color is my hangup, so it is important to me. If price was my biggest concern, I would lean towards another car that costs less.

Andre - While I wish that were possible, they would not make the same deal on one they have to locate versus this one that's been sitting on their lot for around 4 months. Otherwise that would be ideal.

On the plus side, this has been the most upfront and honest Mitsu dealership I've been to in this area (and I've been to three others prior to this one) and I sort of want to see this work out just because they seem to know what they're doing and deserve some business.

They are reading me correctly that I am very interested despite the color, and were calling me back to try to close the deal, which I appreciated. We're still working out the numbers on my trade-in to see if they can bring that up to offset their inability to match SoCal pricing, so I won't be making a decision until tomorrow when we circle up and I take the wife for a test drive in the Evo.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Andre - While I wish that were possible, they would not make the same deal on one they have to locate versus this one that's been sitting on their lot for around 4 months. Otherwise that would be ideal.
Of course they wouldn't be able too. The car that's been sitting in the lot is going to most likely make the salesperson a higher commission/bonus for getting it off the lot.
But don't you think the dealer would like to make A deal versus NO deal?
Back in '06 when I was looking for my IX MR, I wanted WW really bad. Dealer couldn't located one so I settled for 2nd choice (Apex silver). As much as I like silver and Mitsubishi makes a beautiful silver indeed, I still would've preferred white and it killed me every time I saw one.
When I went shopping for my X, the dealership had a bunch of blue and black Xs in the lot, one orange GSR and one WW but without SSS(Which I wouldn't settle for). One of the first questions the salesperson(nice guy) asked me was what are my 3 color choices. I told him, ONLY white with SSS, no exceptions. You get the typical, "but it might be a little more difficult to find blah blah blah..." speech, but you have to be firm with them and stand your ground. You aren't buying a bicycle or lawnmower. You're spending $35k on a car so a little effort from the salesperson is nice and trust me when I say that when you present them with an ultimatum, their effort can go a long way.

I'm just saying, i'd be a little "tougher" on them and don't fall for their kindness. :D

·
Registered
253 Posts
^^^ :+1:
i was in a same situation,

i told them i only want PB in a GSR and they told me. there isnt any left in Canada. so i should settle for a GG or OB thats on the lot.

then i said if im buying a car for 40,000 and im not getting the colour i want, im not going to buying a Evo.

With in 48 hours. they found me a PB gsr 3km on the odometer.

·
Registered
210 Posts
ehh, I settled for my 3rd color choice. I was also told my preferred choice of color was not available in the area as it was around December as well.

Didn't bother me much, no regrets. Got a great deal for my trade-in and 0% interest.

PB is such a hard color to maintain clean though.

·
Registered
433 Posts
that happened to me when buying my evo! octane blue was my 3rd
choice after PB and WW but it was the last gsr in western Canada so I bought it! Took me about 2 months to get used to the color but now I love it and I know it was the best choice since when I see any other evos I think they look gay if they are not blue lol Jk ! I love ww but just not as much as OB now

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Very nice man! Congrats. Best color right there.

Btw, nice dealership too. Over here in Jersey, our Mitsu dealerships look like small used car lots with Mitsu signs.

·
Registered
801 Posts
At least you have a Mitsu dealership, last one in Alaska closed a few years ago

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Very nice man! Congrats. Best color right there.

Btw, nice dealership too. Over here in Jersey, our Mitsu dealerships look like small used car lots with Mitsu signs.
Thanks. This one, unlike others I visited that were closer to me (which looked like used car lots and had the typical type of used car salespeople), sales wasn't pushy, the sales manager wanted to make a deal and seemed like a genuine good guy, they called me back multiple times to make it happen, and even the finance guy wasn't playing games. How rare is it to find that combination? I even asked and received a second free oil change coupon so I can use one soon to get the oil out that's been sitting there for a while and still have a legit free oil change after that. =)

Sadly they don't have much Evo inventory (I bought their only remaining 2011 MR. They had maybe 4-5 total allotted this year and not sure when they might get some 2012s.)

If you want to know which dealership, feel welcome to PM me, I'd be happy to refer them as they so far have treated me well, though granted the relationship is just beginning. Not sure if it would be considered advertising to post their name and website here?

Btw, the white is already growing on me. :)

Thanks again, all.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I didn't care about the color as much as the options. I wanted manual tranny, nav system, and color cluster screen. That being said, I got the color I wanted, GG, and had to choose between a 2008 or 2010. went with the new one. Haven't stopped smiling.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts